Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   using router wifi if PC doesn't have wifi card? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/61065-using-router-wifi-if-pc-doesnt-have-wifi-card.html)

Shadowmeph May 4, 2013 11:32 AM

using router wifi if PC doesn't have wifi card?
 
I dug up an old PC that doesn't have wifi and I am wondering if it is possible to use a spare router as the PC's wifi

KaptCrunch May 4, 2013 11:39 AM

by what method is used to connect to LT, RJ45 ? usb

Shadowmeph May 4, 2013 11:47 AM

Not sure what you mean by LT

KaptCrunch May 4, 2013 11:56 AM

LapTop how is internet reaching to it ...VIA ? usb RJ45

ooops me bad PC aka Tower no onboard LAN or NIC
http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/...-2138-main.jpg

Shadowmeph May 4, 2013 12:06 PM

I have both this old PC was used as a firewall before now only has onboard and pci lan cards

Hinouchie May 4, 2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 707096)
I dug up an old PC that doesn't have wifi and I am wondering if it is possible to use a spare router as the PC's wifi

Not fully understand what you're trying to ask, but I think I got the idea. If you have a router that have can set up wireless bridge, then you can link those 2 router together and then connect a ethernet cable to your old pc from the router to get internet access.

Arinoth May 4, 2013 12:22 PM

If you have a spare/old smartphone that can usb tether, you can turn the data off, turn on the wifi and use it as a wireless adapter

Shadowmeph May 4, 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 707109)
If you have a spare/old smartphone that can usb tether, you can turn the data off, turn on the wifi and use it as a wireless adapter

really how do I do this?
I want to use the second routers as my PCs wireless adapter so I don't have to buy cable or anything just plug the PC into the second router

supaflyx3 May 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 707109)
If you have a spare/old smartphone that can usb tether, you can turn the data off, turn on the wifi and use it as a wireless adapter

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work, at least with android. You can also take an old router thats compatible with ddwrt or tomato and flash that on to it and use bridge mode.

Shadowmeph May 4, 2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 707114)
I'm pretty sure that doesn't work, at least with android. You can also take an old router thats compatible with ddwrt or tomato and flash that on to it and use bridge mode.

Thanks I will try that


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 AM.