Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Remote Backups (Mom+Pop's house)

I would like to set up a remote server at my parent's house to store a small amount of data...~120gb to start...adding only about 500mb/month. I have an old pc which is okay on power (~50w idle) that I could either keep on ALL the time or (preferred) have it come on once a week. System is laughable (celery, 384mb RAM), but should be sufficient with a headless Linux/BSD OS. I am thinking NAS4free or Puppy Linux.

Their house is just Rogers whatever middle-range internet service - so it's WAN DHCP. How do I go about getting my data across the interwebs in a convenient matter? I would like to just point a backup utility to it and have it do it's thing. The data will be tar'd/compressed folders of pictures.

I realize there are online backup solutions, and I use Ubuntu One heavily, but I think this is a good idea for the amount of data I have. Looking at online backups is kinda confusing and seems (somewhat)expensive.

Thanks!
Old April 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You just need a Dynamic DNS service, like those offered from Free Dynamic DNS - Managed DNS - Managed Email - Domain Registration - No-IP for example. Just install the client on the machine so it updates the external IP and maps it to the free subdomain address you create.

Granted, Rogers IP's rarely change, unless the modem is offline for a prolonged period of time.

The main issue will be your upload speed, your parents end will be download-only which should be fairly fast. I'd also keep an eye out for bandwidth cap usage too though. Don't want anyone paying extra on their bills!

I think Rogers may block/throttle certain ports too, so you might need to do some trial and error to get it all working.

Honestly though, rather than backing up over the Internet, why not just backup to an external hard drive and put it in a fireproof safe? Maybe take a copy over to your parents house once a month or something.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:49 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Honestly though, rather than backing up over the Internet, why not just backup to an external hard drive and put it in a fireproof safe? Maybe take a copy over to your parents house once a month or something.
True...I do have an extra laying around. Only thing I was concerned about is if I will actually DO this. I don't consider myself very lazy - but I could see myself not doing backups very often like this.

I think I will try that dynamic dns service and see what kind of speeds I get.

Thanks for the reply