Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Fibre optic availablity in Ontario

Does anyone know all the locations where residential fibre optic internet is available from Bell/Rogers/etc. Ideally a map of areas serviced by it. I've been trying every postal code I know on their websites to no avail.

We're planning on moving closer to the North end of the GTA in the next year or two.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Are you talking about Bell's and Rogers' fake "fiber" service that's only FTTN or the real deal like Bell's 175/175 and Rogers' 250/250 which are both FTTH / FTTP?

Remember that currently FTTH costs at least $100/month here in Canada unless you are in one of the test regions in the Toronto or Montreal areas.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

FTTH, I laughed at the Bell salesperson when they tried to offer me their "Fibe 5" plan.

I currently pay over $100 a month for Rogers 100/10mbps plan.

Last edited by Fleurious; April 11, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleurious View Post
FTTH, I laughed at the Bell salesperson when they tried to offer me their "Fibe 5" plan.
There are currently very, very few areas which have FTTH. If you are moving into a newer development that was built in the last 2 or so years, you'll likely have the option.

Some older areas (like mine in Montreal) have been retrofitted with the necessary cables but you'll have to do some extensive rewiring since the copper-based telephone wires within a typical residence won't properly support the incoming / outgoing speeds.

On the other hand, you could always bypass your own demarcation point and have an alternative route installed. But again, that could increase the installation cost.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Are you talking about Bell's and Rogers' fake "fiber" service that's only FTTN or the real deal like Bell's 175/175 and Rogers' 250/250 which are both FTTH / FTTP?

Remember that currently FTTH costs at least $100/month here in Canada unless you are in one of the test regions in the Toronto or Montreal areas.
I think Bell's Fibe brand is incredibly misleading--to the point of being offensive--but what is Rogers faking?
Old April 11, 2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I think Bell's Fibe brand is incredibly misleading--to the point of being offensive--but what is Rogers faking?
Rogers used to bill their "extreme" service as fiber on marketing and in-store materials. I believe that has now changed but I still sort of hold it against them.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
MVP

Personally, I don't expect FTTH to be viable for many years. DSP technology should continue to improve at a rate to make modems viable for the foreseeable future.

Obviously Google has a plan for what they're piloting in Kansas, so perhaps a killer application for that kind of bandwidth will come of it. I get the feeling it has more to do with thin clients completely replacing traditional PCs though.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

To be frankly honest trying to get Fiber to Home is way to expensive, I mean a 300 meters 10 Gbps fiber cable is 450$ around. Of course it's not like they could say.. I dunno ask the customer to pay for the construction fees and give them the first month free of charge for helping pay the construction fee. The only reason why Google can do it is because it's Google, the make billions of dollars a year.

(That's actually my idea if I ever start an ISP :P )
Old May 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
Rookie

All new areas in Ontario are(should be) FTTH at least for BCE. The "cost" for fiber is relatively the same as copper and there are many reasons to choose copper over fiber even for basic telephony services.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding above.

The "Fibe" brand is much the same as Telus' "optik" brand or Rogers "digital" cable - I understand any frustration you might have but keep in mind that the marketers are not the installers or engineers.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Fiber is faster than copper since fiber uses lights instead of electricity to send signals, copper is generally cheaper than fiber depending on stock pricing. Cooper is a stronger material than fiber but at the cost of oxidation if not well protected.

Fiber doesn't have a signal degradation, while copper does. Cooper has a maximum transmission length of 100 meters, fiber can go beyond 300 meters.

There's a lot of reasons why Fiber Optic cables are being installed. So really I do not get why you say: "There are many reasons to choose copper over fiber".

Tags
fiber , fibre