Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2014, 08:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My location has true FTTH. Just went live this fall. I watched them splice and pair out a dedicated fibre for my neighbour. Too expensive for me for what you get. 55mbps unlimited bandwith with a basic phone is 125+5network fee. I'm paying $60 for 55 meg unlimited cable with a phone.

If they start throwing some good speed down the fibre at a reasonable price I would jump, but as it is right now, it is WAY too expensive and I'm not paying the bleeding edge tax for identical service.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 28, 2014, 11:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAndyCook View Post
Perineum: There is a difference between FTTN or FTTH.

When most company's talk about a their fiber network they are talking about "using fiber in the network" and not actually to the premise. This would be true to literally almost every communication company, broadcast company, cable company as back haul is typical fiber been that way for a while.

-snip-
You haven't said anything that most of us don't know already.

My point is they keeps stressing "it's fiber" like it's the best thing in the world and yet most give slower service (sure maybe better latency but at this point who cares) than DSL or cable.
Old November 30, 2014, 12:08 PM
Rookie

I get that its marketing that's bugging you now.

And as much as "we" know most of this, people with 5 tool bars and three fake anti virus programs running in the background blame their "shitty isp" router for why their internet is slow.
So its easy for people to get convinced to switch from a competitor when offered a different method of transport.
Old November 30, 2014, 04:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be a lot more interested in knowing who their primary peering partners are. Much more important to know if I'll be stuck with the broken prime time lvl 3 / att interconnect on the west coast than what kind of transmission they've got to my door.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old February 25, 2015, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry for the necro. I found out today that because I have FTTH I am not eligible for any third party DSL/FTTN deals. Bell pricing is nuts, $100 for 50/10 unlimited. :(
Old February 25, 2015, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Sorry for the necro. I found out today that because I have FTTH I am not eligible for any third party DSL/FTTN deals. Bell pricing is nuts, $100 for 50/10 unlimited. :(
Yeah hopefully the CRTC opens that up soon...

I know there's a few companies that service condo's, but nothing to houses.
Old February 25, 2015, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really wish I was downtown and in Beanfield service area :D
Old March 9, 2015, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah hopefully the CRTC opens that up soon...

I know there's a few companies that service condo's, but nothing to houses.
Third parties can be installed apparently - tho I haven't actually seen any proof of that.

From what I've heard no money was spent by the government to help Bell/Rogers/Cogeco do new roll outs so none of them are obligated to share the fiber optic like they had to with copper. RE: 1996 telecommunications act.
Old May 6, 2015, 06:06 AM
Trial Member

A small ISP company MNSI based out of Windsor, On is actually installing FTTH.
MNSi Telecom Fibre

They are doing every lot in the neighbourhood FTTH so it is there even if they don't subscribe to a plan. They just have to get permission from each home owner and said for those who don't allow it, it would cost any future home owner a $500 dollar hook up fee to install at a later date.

This is a neighbourhood that had no cable options, and bell DSL lines maxed out at 5mbps.
Old May 8, 2015, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Followyourheart View Post
A small ISP company MNSI based out of Windsor, On is actually installing FTTH.
MNSi Telecom Fibre

They are doing every lot in the neighbourhood FTTH so it is there even if they don't subscribe to a plan. They just have to get permission from each home owner and said for those who don't allow it, it would cost any future home owner a $500 dollar hook up fee to install at a later date.

This is a neighbourhood that had no cable options, and bell DSL lines maxed out at 5mbps.
I would love to find a company that will run FTTH here in Tottenham. There are a few big developments going up near me so maybe that will get one of the big three to get off their lazy asses.

Tags
fiber , fibre