Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes they are pulling the wool over your eye's

1) it would be fiber cable that's connected to your computer ......true fiber service

2) fiber-to-the-premises where's my fiber modem ($300)

only thing I seen was 65% increase on brandwidth over copper lines (when they added fiber between their networks)

so is it really fiber service
Old May 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
yes they are pulling the wool over your eye's

1) it would be fiber cable that's connected to your computer ......true fiber service

2) fiber-to-the-premises where's my fiber modem ($300)

only thing I seen was 65% increase on brandwidth over copper lines (when they added fiber between their networks)

so is it really fiber service
Telus Optik is Fiber service.... but the problem is that they put the fiber outside and not connected to a house, then they use a DSL line for you to connect too. The Modem is using a Cat5 cable.
Old May 5, 2013, 05:48 PM
Rookie

You're modem is this, 7342 ISAM ONT | Alcatel-Lucent and there is no install/rental fee for this equipment on the bell side.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAndyCook View Post
You're modem is this, 7342 ISAM ONT | Alcatel-Lucent and there is no install/rental fee for this equipment on the bell side.

now that's what I'm talking about true fiber service to the home

but the modem above is a lan/wifi no router
Old May 8, 2013, 11:02 AM
Rookie

This is not the exact model we are using - but of the same family and comparable with the same CO equipment. And, we install a switch/router/access point into that - plugging directly into the ONT does not provide internet connectivity as the router provided by bell does the authentication.

Currently available to customers is 175/175 symmetric but if you read on about the 7342 you will realise that the ability is much higher. Typically I see about 1-5ms of latency when connection to speedtest.net using my T40 laptop. Keep in mind bell does not provide the speed to your computer they provide it to the ONT and depending on computer age, wifi connectivity, and other devices on your network the speed may vary.

When running FibeTV over this system you can still maintain what ever speed profile you want. In some areas running copper based 25/10 customers they had to be downgraded to 15/10 or 15/1 in able to run the TV service - on fiber this is no longer an issue. Fibetv CPE equipment used on copper is 100% compatible with equipment used in FTTH environments.

And, I am 100% confidant that all areas will be fiber when there is enough trained technicians to install it and enough demand for FibeTV as this appears to be a big push in the VDSL2 roll outs.

Tags
fiber , fibre