Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2013, 12:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Internet security

Hi everyone !

I watched Logan's (from TekSyndicate) "internet security" videos, pretty interesting, but i still have a few questions...

First, lots of websites he mentionned are not available (or free). Like OPENDNS i believe... so do you guys have another good free DNS service to recommend ?

And, as far as i understood VPNs and proxys, what's the best ? And, which ones are safe in your opinion ?

Also, something i don't understand : Open DNS... doesn't it sound like your opening your router to... anybody ?

I mean, according to Logan it improves your security to use a open dns service, but isn't it also dangerous ?

I realize these are a lot of noob question, but i'm french (nobody's perfect) and i probably didn't get the entire meaning of video...

thank you !
Old March 4, 2013, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkikiki View Post
Hi everyone !

I watched Logan's (from TekSyndicate) "internet security" videos, pretty interesting, but i still have a few questions...

First, lots of websites he mentionned are not available (or free). Like OPENDNS i believe... so do you guys have another good free DNS service to recommend ?

And, as far as i understood VPNs and proxys, what's the best ? And, which ones are safe in your opinion ?

Also, something i don't understand : Open DNS... doesn't it sound like your opening your router to... anybody ?

I mean, according to Logan it improves your security to use a open dns service, but isn't it also dangerous ?

I realize these are a lot of noob question, but i'm french (nobody's perfect) and i probably didn't get the entire meaning of video...

thank you !
Uh would you like a tinfoil hat?

Really invest in a good router and install a FREE A/V and that is it.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Changing DNS has it's benefits for sure. It can help you get around annoying ISP redirects and potentially offer faster page loads as the URL lookup will take less time to resolve to an IP.

I wouldn't recommend OpenDNS though as with their free version, all "bad" requests force you to their custom Google/Yahoo search page which I find annoying. It's basically what Rogers does as well.

OpenDNS does give you a whole slew of filtering options so it's an easy way to do parental controls.

Your questions sound more like "how to be anonymous on the Internet" rather than security. What you need is a good firewall and antivirus if you want security. DNS, VPN, Proxies don't really increase security for day-to-day usage.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

all right guys thank you. i guess i wanna be secure and anonymous... so yeah i'm pretty paranoid. For antivirus and firewall i use Avast (free version) and probably the windows firewall (but maybe avast turns it off so it can be itself the firewall....)
Old March 4, 2013, 08:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There's nothing wrong with being paranoid. Just try not to go overboard. I've been meaning to look into this stuff as well. For now though, I have added the chrome extension called "https everywhere" so sites that support https will switch over. Like if you goto www.google.ca, it will switch to the https version automatically.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Open DNS is actually free I used to use it all of the time and then use custom settings to block certain things but then I upgraded my shaw and was basically forced to use the router they provided so now I cannot figure out how to change the DNS to open DNS shaw doesn't seem to support that.
Most routers have settings in them that lets you add in scripts that block certain things
Old March 4, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For security (as in keeping viruses, direct hacks, and phishing away), the first line of defense is common sense. Don't go clicking on "free" offers and whatnot. As a backup if you fail or a service you trust gets hacked, you use an antivirus with up-to-date definitions, hardware firewall (e.g. router), and try to keep your browsers and OS up to date. You can take the paranoia to the max on "security" by using a Linux Live CD (or virtual machine with Linux Live ISO) to browse the Internet. Shut down the computer / VM, and any nasty exploits get killed with it.

VPN is only useful in terms of "security" if you use open (public) Wi-Fi a lot, and proxy won't do anything for security.

For anonymity, the first thing you do is NOT cookies and account-tracking mobile apps. Masking your IP with a proxy or VPN is useless if the tracking bugs are using easier methods like scanning your contacts through integration with your Google account or Facebook. I won't go any further than that because I'm not that paranoid.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All right ! i'm glad to hear so much inputs !
So yeah, i don't click on stupid "free" things (youtube is full of it these days), i use HTTPS Everywhere. My OS, antivirus and definitions are up to date too... But what kind of security a paid AV can add ?
@Frontier204 What do you mean by "account-tracking mobile apps" ? Like facebook or skype ??
Old March 5, 2013, 05:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

how do you use your pc. and where. is it a desktop, laptop or phone.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well actually i have a laptop, a desktop, and a iPhone. My main concern is my laptop, this is the device is use the most. (my desktop is a 10 years old Dell, and i don't really know what to do with the iPhone...)

Tags
dns , internet , proxy , security , vpn