Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2013, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

when using you laptop are you on campus, or mostly at home. plus have you looked into truecrypt or a similar programming for encryption. As for the Cell phone one thing off the top of my head is make sure when you use your wifi delete the connection after you are done if not you cell phone will remember it by default and your phone will always look for this. easy way to fix this is turn off wifi when not using.

As for the 10year old computer you can use it as a firewall I like pfSense, but there are lots of open source firewalls. Plus you can set it up as a dns server and if you using PuTTY ssh tunnel to it when on or out somewhere you can have an encrypted connection, so if anyone around is sniffing you will not end up a target.

Last edited by Jaydu; March 5, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, yes i'm very careful when i use non secured wifi. And as for Truecrypt, i use it to crypt files, but not my entire system partition... And, i haven't thought about that "memory wifi key" in the iphone... but i turn wifi off as soon as i don't need it. But can you erase the keys the iphone has in memory? (there must be a way, i'll look into it)
And now i realise there are a lot of things i don't understand :
- Aren't the router firewall + antivirus firewall enough ?
- can i use "PuTTY ssh tunnel" without turning my desktop into a server ?
- Is there a difference betwenn "server" and "DNS server" ?
Thanks !
Old March 5, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"server" is a generic term. It could be an FTP server, a DNS server, a Teamspeak server, etc.

pfsense for the most part will work like your router, it will just have more features available as you can customize it. Essentially you are building your own router using a older computer and pfsense as it's OS. You would then not use your router, which can be hard to do if your router is still your modem to your ISP

Jaydu is saying that when you are outside your home you can "tunnel" into your pfsense router securely then use your home internet connection to browse.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

oh ok i understand ! and yes, my router is still my modem... But yeah, it would be so nice to have it's own router build into an old pc...
Anyway, you've been very clear in your explanations an very helpful !
Thank you all guys, i'll look into it !

Tags
dns , internet , proxy , security , vpn