Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2013, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Default With freeradius what IP do I put in nas/clieant

I'm trying to setup freeradius2 installed on pfsense to authenticate and there is an entry for nas/client IP and I have searched the web for what the world that is but can't find anything. Please help.

what is a nas/client IP and how do I find out what it is?

And do I need to open a sql database in pfsense for this to work.

There is like no indebth docs for freeradius.

Thanks
Old March 3, 2013, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Well it looks like I have to answer my own question. But for the people that might be looking for the same answers I'll go ahead and answer it.

When using freeradius for authentification of a client, freeradius will only respond to clients it already knows via their static IP address. But in my case I'm dealing with clients that are using dhcp ip's and clients that are mostly new so using freeradius to authenticate them won't work unless I find a way to impliment a workaround called dynamic clients.

Now there are a number of sites on the internet that just regergitate the same information over and over of the code that needs to be created but none of them go into how to step by step apply this code and where in the hundreds of files these bits of code need to go.

It involves changing code and creating things in many config files which if your an experianced network administrator could probubly be done without blinking an eye, but for me, I wouldn't know where to begin.

I'm setting up a wireless hotspot that clients will log into and that's what I wanted to use freeradius for, but I'll just use pfsense's captive portal which is a "bip bam thankyou mam"(easy) setup.

You know your in trouble when the only forums that have anything close to what your looking for are on these pain in the butt old forum platforms that are hard as heck to read and follow. You know the kind of forums that only people that code in perl would use.

Hey geeks, get a life and update your forum software, there are many free forum software downloads on the NET.

Last edited by josey; March 3, 2013 at 11:30 PM.