Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2013, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

Yes networking and sharing center says active but it's clearly not working. I had to step out. I will let you know this evening.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
Top Prospect

Im afraid none that worked. Iv done this a million times before, so I really dont know what else to check.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
sure, here you go.
You can't use 192.168.0.1 as a dns server.. your basically saying.. "Hey router your my dns server" which obviously it can't do. You need to figure out the dns server for your ISP or use a free one from OpenDNS or Google.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

But I have been doing it for years. Is it not telling the router to control the dns?
Old February 12, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
But I have been doing it for years. Is it not telling the router to control the dns?
Your looking at it backwards. Your router would have to be running a DNS server to control the dns which it does not (Or at least as far as I know). Perhaps in the future you didn't select the DNS to choose what you want.

Try changing the dns to:
Primary: 8.8.8.8
Secondary: 8.8.4.4

And report back.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:46 PM
Top Prospect

Seems to be working now thank you. But I dont get was using 192.168.0.1 for years and it was fine. I was under the impression by setting that your telling the router to use what it is getting from the modem. Glad its working.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Seems to be working now thank you. But I dont get was using 192.168.0.1 for years and it was fine. I was under the impression by setting that your telling the router to use what it is getting from the modem. Glad its working.
The unit you are using is a combined "Router" and "Modem".

The modem will pull the IP information from your ISP to get your WAN address and DNS numbers. By checking the box in Windows to specify the DNS servers you bypass those set by your ISP.

Leave the box unchecked and to be "Automatically Assigned" and this should be an issue anymore and I'm going to say that you probably either did this in the past or you entered your ISP' DNS manually.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:10 PM
Top Prospect

I used to have a separate modem and router and it also pulled the dns and worked fine. Always left settings on router to auto in terms of dns. I the windows settings once i choose manual for the ip I have no choice to manually enter the dns address. So I used 192.168.0.1 and it was always fine.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
I used to have a separate modem and router and it also pulled the dns and worked fine. Always left settings on router to auto in terms of dns. I the windows settings once i choose manual for the ip I have no choice to manually enter the dns address. So I used 192.168.0.1 and it was always fine.
Then that is why it worked for. By separating the two the router got ALL the settings from the modem which allowed you to specify all this in the Windows settings. Honestly tho even the way you "used" to run it setting the DNS servers to your router would actually slow things down and using proper DNS servers would make things faster.

Now because you are using a AIO modem/router you can't run the setup you used to before and have to either choose "Auto Assign" or specify PROPER dns settings.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

and do you suggest google is the best dns to use?