Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2013, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default VPN Suggestions

So I've decided to go VPN. With the ever-growing dragnet trawling the net (that new NSA complex is like something out of a dystopic sci-fi flick) and the ever-increasing repressive internet laws being passed, I figure it's about time. I need suggestions. From my brief few hours of research, the top services are all pretty comparable in price and features, but maybe there are some lesser-known but equally viable services? I'd like to use the VPN feature on DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato with my router. From what I've read, OpenVPN is the best protocol to go with? Cheers.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:18 PM
Allstar

I'd definitely like to know more about it as well and if it's really going to add that much protection.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 1, 2013, 06:31 AM
Allstar

OpenVPN is pretty good, better then PPTP as PPTP has a few large gaping holes in it and is on everything. So if I were a government/corporate group looking to target a part of the population PPTP would be the first vpn protocol I would look at.

OpenVPN has built in support for pretty much every open source router project, you can install clients on PCs if you wanted to be mobile and encrypted(hotel room). I don't know about tablets, android would be the best bet if a tablet/phone was to have a client.

Companies like Witopia support openVPN so you can tunnel into another country and ftp off a rented server in another country if you really wanted to protect yourself.

Past that you would have to start to use your imagination with what you can do to protect your anonymity online. OpenVPN would be your best opensource way to avoid prying eyes.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:31 AM

My System Specs

I use Private Internet Access. I generally like it but it can become rather slow at times. This is true of all providers though. Your Internet speeds will drop. I would not suggest putting your entire network behind the VPN. First off it is a lot of work, especially OpenVPN. And secondly it is so slow. It took me weeks to figure out how to setup OpenVPN with my provider on pfSense, and after a day I stopped using it on the router.

Also not all providers will protect your anonymity if requested by authorities. So choose wisely.
Old February 1, 2013, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I recently subscribed to Torguard Pro VPN services. I'm paying 10 bucks a month for unlimited access to their Servers. I am not using it with my router, just with my windows box and android tablet when I want to mask my ip or download stuff. For windows machines Torguard's little program for connecting is really easy. It keeps the server list up to date. All you need to do is select the server and location, type in your password and username. OpenVPN client works just as well, it just requires you to download the server info from torguard and import the server information/certificate manually for each server you want. The only unknown for me is like Lowfat said: I don't really know if Torguard would give up user data if the internet police request it. Overall i like torguard..
Old February 1, 2013, 03:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Kind of a hijack, side question here. If you mind YukonTrooper let me know and I'll move to a new thread.

Is there a media player with an OpenVPN connection available? I'd like to set up a Netflix US player in the basement without having to put my whole house behind the VPN. I could build a XBMC or Ubuntu HTPC box I guess, but a $100 media player would make things easier.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:48 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Kind of a hijack, side question here. If you mind YukonTrooper let me know and I'll move to a new thread.

Is there a media player with an OpenVPN connection available? I'd like to set up a Netflix US player in the basement without having to put my whole house behind the VPN. I could build a XBMC or Ubuntu HTPC box I guess, but a $100 media player would make things easier.
1 - setup a VM with pfsense and make it a 2nd gateway with the vpn info and have every device you want to have access to it use it as the gateway.

2 - Ghetto way is to use windows internet sharing with the vpn info
Old February 1, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

https://mediahint.com/
Old February 1, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

there are DNS numbers that you can use that'll fix the issue for you. The Canadian netflix players can do US with no issue, apparently.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

Proxifier + your VPN of choice.