Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2013, 03:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Just how real is this threat these days?
What threat?

Canada has capped those kind of lawsuits at $1500 and their legal fees are significantly more than that. Take a very expensive lawyer some time to do all the paper work. It's an overly publicized scare tactic and what really gets under my skin is that a lot moral-less thieving punks would be legitimate customers if there was a modern distribution channel for the product.

The last time I watched TV I was baffled. Normally I choose between ads or paying for content, with TV your only option is both. Not to mention programmed vs on demand, modern GUIs vs that worse-than-using-a-command-line thing they put on digital boxes.

Last edited by jibz; January 17, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
What threat?

Canada has capped those kind of lawsuits at $1500 and their legal fees are significantly more than that. Take a very expensive lawyer some time to do all the paper work. It's an overly publicized scare tactic and what really gets under my skin is that a lot moral-less thieving punks would be legitimate customers if there was a modern distribution channel for the product.

The last time I watched TV I was baffled. Normally I choose between ads or paying for content, with TV your only option is both. Not to mention programmed vs on demand, modern GUIs vs that worse-than-using-a-command-line thing they put on digital boxes.
The Voltage Pictures vs Teksavvy saga should be a fair warning shot:
TekSavvy forum | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Many customers of teksavvy are being warned by teksavvy that Voltage Films have requested the real names of a list of IP addresses. Many folks in that forum have reported that they are on Voltage's radar.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 18, 2013, 03:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the biggest problem with the usage model is how absurd the prices are. Yes arguments can be made for users that abuse the network should pay more, however there are alternative ways to deal with these individuals. Charging for overage really is just for profit and has nothing to do with the network. I'm currently living in Germany and have a 500MB cap on my cell plan, when I go over it slows down to less than .5mbps. I don't pay overages, just have to deal with slower speeds. I'd much rather see users at reduced speeds until the end of the month than paying absurd overage charges. If we do have to have usage based caps, then the prices should be relative to the cost (pennies).

It won't be long until Bell/Rogers remove their max overage charges all together on regular internet plans.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This thread made me think of this that I saw recently.

Sure I doubt the costs are exactly right or anything, but it still points out that our internet costs are still really high. Ok with current prices it is even cheaper, for $300 you can get a 360GB drive. So really it is about half that cost.

Old January 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
MVP

That image is idiotic. It may highlight a fact, but does nothing to prove that service providers are overcharging.

Comparisons to other countries are equally inaccurate due to factors such as climate and population density.

IMO: Service providers--such as the big three--take a substantial risk when they borrow billions to build national networks; they are accountable not only to customers, but also investors and other stakeholders who expect a return. Therefore it is their prerogative on how they monetize those networks.

If consumer habits change or new tech prematurely deprecates existing infrastructure, stakeholders could lose a lot.

On the bright side, because Canadian telecommunications remain lucrative to invest in, high ROIs ensure investments and loans will continue. As a result, we have more tech jobs and Canadians continue to enjoy the latest network technologies.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:53 PM
Allstar

I have a comment but such language is frowned upon in the forums. :)
Old January 18, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I know what you mean NyteOwl. It costs the big ISPs between ONE and TWO cents per Gigabyte....and thats it. The markup is insane. Hell we have a plethora of dark fiber that is just being wasted because the big few want to kill off competition to their OTHER cash cow: cable/satellite TV.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 18, 2013, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
That image is idiotic. It may highlight a fact, but does nothing to prove that service providers are overcharging.

Comparisons to other countries are equally inaccurate due to factors such as climate and population density.

IMO: Service providers--such as the big three--take a substantial risk when they borrow billions to build national networks; they are accountable not only to customers, but also investors and other stakeholders who expect a return. Therefore it is their prerogative on how they monetize those networks.

If consumer habits change or new tech prematurely deprecates existing infrastructure, stakeholders could lose a lot.

On the bright side, because Canadian telecommunications remain lucrative to invest in, high ROIs ensure investments and loans will continue. As a result, we have more tech jobs and Canadians continue to enjoy the latest network technologies.

Umm sorry but climate? Population density? You do know that our overall population density is really low when looking at the entire country as a whole, but that is not an accurate figure as about 90% of our population lives in the few major centers across the country. For example as of 2011 Edmonton CMA (census metropolitan area) has a density of 123/square km, Metro Vancouver is 802/square km, and the Greater Toronto Area is 850/square km. All of these are quite high and compare very similar to most larger centers in Europe. They are in fact very close to how Sweden is, yet they have average download speeds of about 1.5-2x faster and uploads about 3-5x faster. Oh yea and they pay less than we do as well.

Old January 18, 2013, 11:47 PM
Top Prospect

Is this over the rim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
If one treads carefully you can winter any storm. No need to tire. It just takes a modicum of skill and some forethought in that regard.

If you see the profile of a thread you can get a good run at it without hitting any topics that would put it over the rim.
Attached Images

Old January 19, 2013, 02:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmm, haven't taken apart an ATV before, but I'm guessing his problem is C clips first, winter tires second.