Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
Allstar

Default Free DNS Service

I recently picked up JEE with JSF and Apache and want to demo a website for employers out there. I used to use dyndns but their services are no longer free. Can anyone recommend a decent service out there? So far I found this service comparison website.

DDNS ? Free Dynamic DNS Providers | DNS Lookup
Old January 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using No-IP for ages now. It does expire after 30 days if you have minimal traffic against it or your IP hasn't changed, but they send you an email and you can manually renew it easily.

I just use one of the free subdomains "hopto.org".
Old January 15, 2013, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OpenDNS Presents Umbrella it's free
Old January 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've been trying to get into this DDNS thing too. Apparently my ASUS Rounter (RT-N556U) is supposed to allow me to plug in a USB Disk and after a few quick clicks the system sets up FTP://myname.asuscomm.com which I then can log into over the internet. Unfortunately I've not been able to get past the "invalid IP" error that comes my way when i try to set this up. I've tried a dozen different variations on "myname" which the documents say can be anything. So I tried No-IP but again I cannot seem to get that to work. I spend way too long on what turned out to not be toll free number (812 is not toll free, thats Indianna). My ASUS email buddy who tried to help me in a series of emails gave me the 812 number and said it was toll free. He lied (or was misinformed). The telephone bill will be more than the cost of registering an FTP site through these DDNS services.

Any recommendations on how to set up a USB Drive on your Router as a FTP server that has no fee for service.

I have not yet given up on asuscomm.com if anyone has any tricks about making that free FTP server work, I'd love to hear it.

And I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to make the No-ip thing work as an FTP server for my USB drive on the router. I'm told I could fire up an old Vista laptop I have in the basement and use filezilla to turn it into an FTP server, and if I want connect the USB drive to that laptop. Could happen. I've been wondering what to do with that old laptop anyway.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 16, 2013, 11:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Open DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfglass View Post
Free is good, so I looked into it and got hooked up to OpenDNS. Now what?

From what I can see it has great parental controls, ... my youngest is a 30 something IT tech living in the states, ... not much use I guess until the grandson comes for a visit.

It promised faster internet, and maybe. I did the speedtest thing and I'm now getting much more consistent values of 5.1 - my record is 5.28, but my graph looks like a profile of the rocky mountains, speedtests would vary from 2.x up to 4.x with that one nice spike at 5.28. In a half dozen tests since installing DNS my chart has leveled out at about 4.8-5.1 with only minor variation. Upload has not changed much, a little more consistent at 1.1 up.

But now what do I do with this new service?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 17, 2013, 06:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's just a different DNS server rather than using your ISP's. Potentially it could load pages faster as it can translate the URL to the IP address quicker, but usually your ISP's DNS is the fastest since it's "local" to you.