Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2013, 08:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Telus Optik Internet/ Suggest new ISP

Hey everyone,

I live in the Quebec City area, and to be honest there's only 1 ISP as far as I can tell that offers unlimited downloads, which is Telus Optik. My contract with them expired and now I have to pay around 170$ a month for the TV/Internet and Phone. I'm trying to find ways to save money.

I was wondering if they're other ISPs in my region that offer unlimited downloads. Since I pay about 80$ a month for it which is a 25 Mbps connection with a 3 Mbps Upload speed (which is terrible since I rented a dedicated server so uploading files on it is slow.)

Thank you
Old January 13, 2013, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Telus is introducing a cap soon, not sure if they'll enforce it.

Old January 13, 2013, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Take a look a teksavvy & Electronic box.

I have electronic box in Montreal, and I'm satisfied (not unlimited, no need for it).

I also have two friends in Sherbrooke using them, one has unlimited. It seems good so far!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old January 15, 2013, 04:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Telus is introducing a cap soon, not sure if they'll enforce it.
If they're introducing a cap I'm going to switch real fast haha. Besides if they add the cap without notifying me then I hope they have fun with the CRTC... then again I think I'm the only guy in my area who has Telus Optik everyone else is Videotron. Heck there's a Videotron cable box on my front yard.... and a Telus Fiber Optics box across my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inik View Post
Take a look a teksavvy & Electronic box.

I have electronic box in Montreal, and I'm satisfied (not unlimited, no need for it).

I also have two friends in Sherbrooke using them, one has unlimited. It seems good so far!

To me having unlimited is important to me, I've used to be with Videotron and they capped it at 200 GB a month (upload and download) I pass it real fast since I rented a dedicated server so I upload GBs of files and download backups of the server to my PC (right now the server holds about 25 GB worth of data) so you can imagine how fast I'll pass 200 GB, I also buy most of my games off of Steam so there's another heavy internet usage, and then I just switched to Ooma for VoIP with my home phone to pay 5$ a month instead of 30$, so that also uses the internet a lot (depending on how long the conversations are anyway.)

Last edited by ShinraCorp; January 15, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
If they're introducing a cap I'm going to switch real fast haha. Besides if they add the cap without notifying me then I hope they have fun with the CRTC... then again I think I'm the only guy in my area who has Telus Optik everyone else is Videotron. Heck there's a Videotron cable box on my front yard.... and a Telus Fiber Optics box across my house.

Umm, you do realize that they have had a cap for years. It just wasn't enforced. But one thing they are doing, at least in the west, is reducing the cap. For example I am on the Telus Optik turbo 25mb plan and it had a cap of 500GB, but as of Feb. (I think), it is going down to 250GB. I am not happy about it and it does make you think that they might just start enforcing it.

Old January 16, 2013, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Meh I'm guessing like you said they're not enforcing it. Which is kinda like unlimited, besides it doesn't even say on my bills any cap limit, or how much data I used.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might be lucky because you are in Quebec and it seems like Telus over there follows different rules and such from over here in the west.

Though you might want to take a look at your most recent bill. If you look online you won't see it but if you get the pdf version of the bill (at least in the west) you will now see how much data you are using. That said it didn't look very accurate but the fact is it is showing up now. Between that and the lowering of caps makes me think that they might soon start enforcing.

Old January 20, 2013, 11:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
You might be lucky because you are in Quebec and it seems like Telus over there follows different rules and such from over here in the west.

Though you might want to take a look at your most recent bill. If you look online you won't see it but if you get the pdf version of the bill (at least in the west) you will now see how much data you are using. That said it didn't look very accurate but the fact is it is showing up now. Between that and the lowering of caps makes me think that they might soon start enforcing.
Actually it's mailed to me, I prefer keeping these bills in my folders just in case something sneaky comes up.

That and Telus did build a "super secret datacenter" in Rimouski. That has bullet proof and explosive proof walls.... overboard with security much?