Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2012, 10:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Getting Shaw... Use their WiFi modem?

We are signing up with Shaw next week and the rep said we can get the WiFi modem/router for free for the life of our service.
Now I remember when they first came out people said it was a horrible router and just get the shaw modem and get your own router.

Is that the case now these days? I have the option but if the WiFi modem/router sucks I'd rather just go out and by a TP Link 1043ND
Old December 2, 2012, 10:39 PM
MVP

I've got one of their modem/router deals at my office, I haven't had any problems, but I don't tax it very heavily. (I got one of their last DOCSIS 3.0 only-modem modems at home.)

I'd try it out, if it doesn't work out, order the TP Link and call up Shaw to get the modem put into bridge mode.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I got the new one the SMC model, wired connections work well but the wifi has low speed and often drops.I looked into the settings in the router nothing seems off but its slow, so I use my Linksys WRT 310n for wireless dutys and it works flawlessly.I would try the shaw wifi modem combo but have a wireless router handy just in case.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

If you have your own router then use it by contacting shaw to put the modem into bridged mode. Otherwise their modems are fine.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well the wirfi modem I recieved from them is ok I have had to reboot it twice since I got it a few months back, my other routers I have have I never have had to do that but I can live with that