Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
Trial Member

Default Fast Internet speed from one router and slow Internet speeds from the others

We have a network setup that is rather strange:

A cable modem gets the internet in one building which connects to router 1. Then this router connects to a dish which transfers the internet connection to another dish on another building. This dish is then connected to router 2 which connects to two other routers which then provide Internet over hardware and wireless connections.

So the Internet is around 1.5 Mb/s when connected to any of the routers in the second building, but when connected to router 1 it is 25 Mb/s. However this has not always been the case. A few days ago most connections in the deck d building were getting about 4 Mb/s. No changes were made that we know of.

Are there any suggestions as to what can be done to improve the speeds? Or figure out what changed over the weekend?
Old November 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

you're right, that is a strange setup. What's the dish to dish speed and type of connectivity? I'd think that's the more obvious question first.

Have you simply rebooted all the devices? are you testing on wired or wireless?
Old November 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimen1000 View Post
We have a network setup that is rather strange:

A cable modem gets the internet in one building which connects to router 1. Then this router connects to a dish which transfers the internet connection to another dish on another building. This dish is then connected to router 2 which connects to two other routers which then provide Internet over hardware and wireless connections.

So the Internet is around 1.5 Mb/s when connected to any of the routers in the second building, but when connected to router 1 it is 25 Mb/s. However this has not always been the case. A few days ago most connections in the deck d building were getting about 4 Mb/s. No changes were made that we know of.

Are there any suggestions as to what can be done to improve the speeds? Or figure out what changed over the weekend?
Considering that when I was on RURAL internet that is exactly how it worked. 1 large antennae to feed the internet to a bunch of small other dishes around the neighborhood. If LOS was good .. 1Mbit was all you'd get.

So .. sounds like your getting what you should.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Check the alignment of your satellite dishes... If it is anything like hooking up satellite tv a few millimetres off will easily cost you 25% signal, a couple centimetres and you might be getting almost none.

How far is the one building from the other? It might be worth it to do a cable run with multiple repeaters and get almost full speed.

There are signal meters that can be had for as low as $25, they aren't the best but they are okay for non-professional use.

Last edited by JJThomp; November 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:37 AM
Allstar

Was there heavy winds that may have misaligned the dish? Did it rain/snow/freeze that may have affected cable connections or infiltrated water into a line? Did someone unplug and replug something incorrectly?
Old December 2, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
you're right, that is a strange setup. What's the dish to dish speed and type of connectivity? I'd think that's the more obvious question first.

Have you simply rebooted all the devices? are you testing on wired or wireless?
Basically this. What type of antennas and how far is the distance between sites? I'm guessing all of your routers are consumer based as well... not that that completely matters I guess.