Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2012, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Linksys / Cisco Smart Wi-Fi?

Does anybody have experience with this new set of features?

Linksys Smart Wi-Fi

Just got an email from linksys suggesting that I do a firmware update (initiated by a hyperlink from the email no less..... ;) ) for my model of router. Now that I've verified that I can access the same information through the cisco website (and thus isn't something that's going to install nasty stuff onto my router) it's got me curious. Anybody play with it yet? (I'm thinking about doing it anywise since I never got around to putting tomato onto it in the first place and maybe this firmware update resolves the issues I've been having.)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 31, 2012, 08:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I only have experience with the Enterprise toolset on their (Cisco's) Security appliances... Not sure if they are the same. Anything specific you are looking at?

Old November 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Isn't this just a re-brand of their initial try? They basically gain full control of your router and can block access to certain websites along with monitoring all your internet usage.

I surely wouldn't opt to install it if they still have those "features".
Old November 1, 2012, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Isn't this just a re-brand of their initial try? They basically gain full control of your router and can block access to certain websites along with monitoring all your internet usage.

I surely wouldn't opt to install it if they still have those "features".
I wasn't aware of the issue(s) with their "initial try", a quick look suggested that these features are standard on their current line of routers and that the firmware update would bring my older E3000 up to the new(er) standard.

I certainly have no interest in cloud computing, but might be convinced that being able to access some of my files from a public account might be useful from time to time. It also looks like they've got some form of scheme to allow remote access to vid cam shots as well.

Guess I'll have to do some more research.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 2, 2012, 04:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe it was called "Cisco Connect Cloud". Basically it removes local access to your router and you must access it through the Cisco website over the Internet. They also came down pretty hard and were blocking/filtering "unsafe" websites along with keeping tabs on every website you visited.

I truly hope they solved these privacy concerns, but the fact is, you are letting Cisco have web-access to your router. God only knows what they can do. My router is the last thing I want to be accessible from the Internet.

I know people are weary of using Gmail for that matter, this is 10x worse IMO.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I believe it was called "Cisco Connect Cloud". Basically it removes local access to your router and you must access it through the Cisco website over the Internet. They also came down pretty hard and were blocking/filtering "unsafe" websites along with keeping tabs on every website you visited.

I truly hope they solved these privacy concerns, but the fact is, you are letting Cisco have web-access to your router. God only knows what they can do. My router is the last thing I want to be accessible from the Internet.

I know people are weary of using Gmail for that matter, this is 10x worse IMO.
I just installed a router with "Linksys Smart-Wifi" and I am also concerned about Cisco's web-access to my router. Sure there are advantages to being able to manage my network remotely or from my smart phone, but I am concerned about security issues. It's been a while since this thread started, and I am interested in finding out about the experiences of other members.
Cheers.