Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What are they using for a docsis 3 modem? Rogers (down east anywise) doesn't have one outside of the modem/router combo. I was kinda sad to see my trusty ol' surfboard get retired. (Been using a version of it pretty well for as long as I've had broadband).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

at the shaw site it doesn't show any modems they show the modem/router
Old September 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

shaw doesn't give out straight modems anymore and you will just get a wifi modem and can ask for it to be bridged which acts like nothing more than a modem. i inquired about this and if you are on the 50 or faster plan then you have no choice at all.
Old September 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe they're still using the Cisco Docsis 3 modem/router combos, I can't remember the exact model number. That should be you're only option as they dont have standalone modems, but like mentioned it can be added to the account in bridge mode. Just make sure to specify that when you're getting it so you don't have to call back in and get it added. Hopefully the CSR knows what you're talking about because half of them won't. IIRC they were also charging you for the modem purchase of any DOCSIS 3's since I last heard, which is $100. Not sure if that's changed yet.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm well I received this thing and the only option it has is changing pw ,Wireless Network Name (SSID),and encryption type this thing hugely lacks . I cannot look at any logs, or put my own filters or anything else that I usually do. I guess this is just for beginners to wireless and such. there must be a way to get into the advanced part of the configuration.ok it was opera browser giving me problems but I finally am able to get into the rest of the config. still lacks allot though. but I am not having any connection problems so I guess I will leave it alone and see what happens

Last edited by Shadowmeph; September 27, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old October 2, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
hmm well I received this thing and the only option it has is changing pw ,Wireless Network Name (SSID),and encryption type this thing hugely lacks . I cannot look at any logs, or put my own filters or anything else that I usually do. I guess this is just for beginners to wireless and such. there must be a way to get into the advanced part of the configuration.ok it was opera browser giving me problems but I finally am able to get into the rest of the config. still lacks allot though. but I am not having any connection problems so I guess I will leave it alone and see what happens
I guess you missed the part where I told you you can get them to put it into bridge mode and use your own router.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it was already in the mail I most likely will call them to do that I just really hate waiting on the phone listening to that irritating music.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use their online support, thats what i do all the time to avoid that
Old October 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
Rookie

I have used SMC modem/router in bridge mode and router mode. It's actually faster in router mode than it is in bridge mode with my Cisco E3200 router attached. The Cisco thing is still fast, but it seems to peak at 87mbps and never goes higher, while using the SMC in router mode I can peg 99mbs consistently in off-peak times.

Tags
routers , shaw