Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Angry Unable To Share Networks?!

Okay so I've recently bought an Xbox 360 and Live but don't fancy spending £60 on a wireless adapter for it. My router is also downstairs so it would be difficult having a wired connection. However, I've heard and seen of people using the Network Sharing on their computer. Where you use an Ethernet cable going from your Xbox 360 into the back of the computer. I'm currently running on Windows Vista.
Once I connect the two together using the Ethernet cable the LED lights up in the back of my computer. My guess is that it knows something is connected? So when I go to the Network & Sharing Center, View Status, and then go to find the Sharing tab its not there. This all works perfect on my dads laptop without any problems. Why won't it work for my desktop? Its all very frustrating and I'm always getting stressed out about it. Please, can someone try and help me out?!
Old September 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not totally understanding you, are you trying to run wireless through your computer? If so then you need a wireless card or USB on your computer so that the xbox can connect wirelessly, which explains why it works on the laptop becasue the laptop has both Of course if you have two lans or nic cards on your PC then one would plug into your xbox and the other would plug into your router
Old September 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It works for your dad's laptop because it has both a wired and wireless network connection, and it treats the laptop as a bridge.

You need 2 connections on your desktop to do the same thing. 1 to the Xbox, and 1 to your router. Is your desktop connected to the router via a wired or wireless connection? Is the network connection you are plugging the Xbox 360 into enabled?

This youtube video may help: How to setup a network bridge Vista - YouTube
Old September 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It works for your dad's laptop because it has both a wired and wireless network connection, and it treats the laptop as a bridge.

You need 2 connections on your desktop to do the same thing. 1 to the Xbox, and 1 to your router. Is your desktop connected to the router via a wired or wireless connection? Is the network connection you are plugging the Xbox 360 into enabled?

This youtube video may help: How to setup a network bridge Vista - YouTube
Aw thats the name I was trying to think of Bridge :)

Tags
internet , problems , sharing , wireless , xbox360