Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2012, 11:12 AM
Rookie

Default Wireless network printing over a school network

Hello all,

I am a first year university student living in residence. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy, but I am stuck with a problem.

A friend on my floor is trying to set up a wireless printer.

The school provides wifi coverage throughout the building. There is no initial password to connect to the network, however an in-browser login is required. She has a HP printer that supports wireless printing.

My understanding is that these sorts of printers work by connecting themselves to the same network as the computer. Is this possible with this kind of network?

I have tried to connect the printer to the network. It says it has connected, but there is no option to input the required in-browser login information. The computer does not see the networked printer.

My thoughts are that this is not possible, however, my friend insists she was able to print a few documents on the first day before I had arrived.

If it helps, computer is a macbook pro running OSX 10.7 -- Printer is an HP officejet 6600.

Thanks so much guys,
Ben
Old September 9, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not totally sure but I would think that it would have to be setup through the router
Old September 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The problem with these style of logins is you need to re-login after a certain period of inactivity. Is this your situation ?
Old September 9, 2012, 07:13 PM
Rookie

I haven't actually timed out myself yet, but I suspect you are right. I'll leave my connection running tonight.

Also -- The printer doesn't have any kind of browser interface or input device, so I don't the login would even be possible.
Old September 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
I haven't actually timed out myself yet, but I suspect you are right. I'll leave my connection running tonight.

Also -- The printer doesn't have any kind of browser interface or input device, so I don't the login would even be possible.

No interface? Is this your model? HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One Printer series - H711 overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Old September 10, 2012, 04:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would not join a printer to the campus WiFi. You'll have the whole damn school printing to it.

Tell her to get a router for her dorm and make her own private WiFi with a password.

Otherwise, I believe most printers support Ad-Hoc WiFi which is a direct P2P connection between the printer and her laptop which should also work.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I would not join a printer to the campus WiFi. You'll have the whole damn school printing to it.

Tell her to get a router for her dorm and make her own private WiFi with a password.

Otherwise, I believe most printers support Ad-Hoc WiFi which is a direct P2P connection between the printer and her laptop which should also work.
That was my thought also
Old September 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post

That's the one. Perhaps I 'no interface' was the wrong term. There is a pretty standard 'printer setup' interface, but nothing like a web browser and keyboard -- what I think would be required to join such a network.

Quote:

Haha yeah, I was planning on putting a password in place to access the printer. Still probably a dumb idea.

I have been reading up on Ad-Hoc networking. My understanding is that you cannot be simultaneously connected to both a an Ad-Hoc network to print, and a standard wifi network for internet access. Is this correct?

Thanks again guys,
Old September 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
I have been reading up on Ad-Hoc networking. My understanding is that you cannot be simultaneously connected to both a an Ad-Hoc network to print, and a standard wifi network for internet access. Is this correct?
Unless you have dual WiFi adapters, then that is correct. Although switching between the 2 shouldn't be too much hassle, but still an "extra" step to print something.

Why not just use good ol' USB? Reliable and secure. I doubt the printer is that far from the laptop.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Unless you have dual WiFi adapters, then that is correct. Although switching between the 2 shouldn't be too much hassle, but still an "extra" step to print something.

Why not just use good ol' USB? Reliable and secure. I doubt the printer is that far from the laptop.
USB was my suggestion as well -- I was mostly curious to see if I was missing something.

Thanks for all the help guys!