Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2012, 09:42 AM
Allstar

Default Help with home AP/Routers

My parents need more wifi coverage in their house then what they have right now. I will hard wire all AP vs repeating to avoid any issues that might happen with coverage. Its not a square box house and is ~5000sq/f I am currently thinking of adding in 3-4 more access points. They currently have a Linksys E1000 with DD-WRT on it for their router and a commercial grade outdoor AP that I gave them. Their house backbone is a cisco 16 port gigabit managed switch I had kicking around.

The linksys is a solid little router but interference or crappy output on the wifi makes it pretty piss poor for that job. What routers or AP do people suggest for AP repeating? I am happy with the DD-WRT firmware so anything that flashes to that is a bonus or a solid factory firmware.

I know very little of residential routers right now. There seems to be a massive pile of steaming crap out there and if I can avoid that for my own head aches that would make me happy.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Mixture of power line and a couple access points.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My suggestion is to downgrade that house. 5000/sqft is enough to house 5 families of 5

In all serious tho: The 'standard' go-to router is the Asus RT-N16, but I'm not sure its going to fit your 'commercial' grade needs. Lets be honest, 16 port switches, multiple AP/Repeaters...You really should go commercial grade, which is above my level of expertise in choice
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 30, 2012, 10:18 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
My suggestion is to downgrade that house. 5000/sqft is enough to house 5 families of 5

In all serious tho: The 'standard' go-to router is the Asus RT-N16, but I'm not sure its going to fit your 'commercial' grade needs. Lets be honest, 16 port switches, multiple AP/Repeaters...You really should go commercial grade, which is above my level of expertise in choice
Its not my house, mine is smaller. Its an investment property, they don't need anything that big ether but they built it to sell at some point. The commercial grade stuff is from pulls or some random reason I had it kicking around. Thanks for the info, I have seen that router name pop up a couple of times just didn't know if something else better had come out.

Does it have decent range on it? that seems to be the biggest issue is radio power seems to be weak on some of these routers.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2 Asus RT-N16 with Tomato or DD-WRT and upgraded antennas should do the trick, but powerline ethernet might even be better
Old August 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Allstar

I can get Cat cables everywhere they need them, thats not the issue, hence running a hard wire line to each AP. This is just wifi coverage for all the "toys" that use wifi. Tablets, phones, laptops, etc. right now they are getting hit and miss coverage in their bedroom from the outside AP. The living room is even badly situated for the existing router, there is a big TV and stereo setup right in line with the router.... so maybe 20' to the router the signal is killed. I am just going to plaster the place with wifi access, this router looks pretty decent might get 1 and test it and then get a few more based off of that.

Thanks
Old August 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I use an RT-N16 at work with stock firmware, we don't have an issue getting wireless access anywhere in the building.
Old September 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
Allstar

Did some testing a week or two ago and these little guys work well. Three of them plus the original router cover off the house and a good chunk of their decking. The 5dbi antennas really do a decent job. +1 for anyone looking a decent AP.