Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2012, 11:08 AM
Top Prospect

After a crapload of reading...file is bang on. The actiontec is the problem. Apparently there is a Asus (along with a few others) routers you can flash to become the main gateway so you can store the actiontec in the closet.
After several users had done this...no resetting...no slow torrents. So I'm gonna give er a try once I find the router(forget model) and see what happens. It can't be any worse then what I got now,
Old September 8, 2012, 11:11 AM
Rookie

The router is the Asus RT-N56U, you can find it online at various retailers (futureshop.ca, newegg.ca) or in-store at Staples. I'm the one who did the firmware for it. If you experience any issues don't hesitate to shout.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:32 PM
Top Prospect

Awesome!
Thanks a million..I appreciate it
Old September 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwl
The red light on the modem could be a flaky hub/switch, i had been noticing the red light on my bell fibetv modem,
red on most modems = collision with data
Old September 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
Top Prospect

If I remember correctly...it was authentication error? Which probably means the same as above...as I am by no means a expert on networking, but I love messing with it.
Which in turn is probably why I have problems lol
Old September 8, 2012, 06:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

In a half duplex Ethernet network, a collision is the result of two devices on the same Ethernet network attempting to transmit data at exactly the same time. The network detects the "collision" of the two transmitted packets and discards them both. Collisions are a natural occurrence on Ethernets. Ethernet uses Carrier Sense Multiple Access/ Collision Detect (CSMA/CD) as its method of allowing devices to "take turns" using the signal carrier line. When a device wants to transmit, it checks the signal level of the line to determine whether someone else is already using it. If it is already in use, the device waits and retries, perhaps in a few seconds. If it isn't in use, the device transmits. However, two devices can transmit at the same time in which case a collision occurs and both devices detect it. Each device then waits a random amount of time and retries until successful in getting the transmission sent.The best remedy for collisions is to upgrade to a full duplex switched environment.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't expect it to be collision, that's only on older networking devices.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ya I got an actiontec Modem/Router when I started with Telus.... I was better off with my D-link DIR-655, I mean I had QoS services atleast with D-link router, ActionTec's router.... has the most primitive things ever... sure it comes with MAC filtering, Port Forwarding.

It doesn't have QoS so I can't prioritize which devices get more bandwidth, which is important to me since I have a Ooma VoIP device and it requires a 3 Mbps download speed and a 1 Mbps Upload speed to make sure that the call quality doesn't suck while I watch vids or play games. Already Telus only offers 3 Mbps upload speed...
Old January 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Would it be possible to get more info / a write up on making the Asus RT-N56U work on bell, i have Fiber-op scheduled to be installed in 2 weeks and want to be ready to switch routers from day 1
Old January 28, 2013, 03:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Would it be possible to get more info / a write up on making the Asus RT-N56U work on bell, i have Fiber-op scheduled to be installed in 2 weeks and want to be ready to switch routers from day 1
Doesn't Bell just give you the modem? Normally if they do all you do is simple plug the modem to the WAN port on the RT-N56U and you got a wireless internet. Of course you will need to set up your router for better protection.

Normally there's a CD that comes with it, use that CD on your computer to set up a password for your router to prevent anyone but you to access your internet.