Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Hrm, had a fantastic long reply written that got eaten by my newbieness! I hate it when that happens!

I love the idea of pfsense, that one's new to me and looks awesome. I'm reading about it now.
But following the tomato link (I haven't kept up w/ the project recently, or it's various offshoots), I noticed Shibby's version, and holy cow it looks fantastic. Looks like it can do everything I want, and everything I'd want in pfsense that I've noticed so far. And it'll work on those new Asus n66's, the reported follow-up to the Asus N16 posted higher up in the thread.

And yeah, I haven't yet looked into the Atom/nano-itx/ETC stuff yet, but that is a possibility too, and may be a good way to use pfsense w/o the old-school boat-anchor hardware. And I'm also going to look into that stuff for a portable in-vehicle PC I'm building (may be commissioned for one too), but I have no experience with that stuff other than playing with other people's EEEpc's.
Old August 4, 2012, 01:54 AM
Rookie

Holy crap asus makes nice stuff, i think that AC66U might be for me. i will wait to see if tomato is going to support it though.
Old August 4, 2012, 07:34 AM
Rookie

The Netgear WNR3500L v2 looks interesting too, at least hardware wise, and it'll run tomato also.

There does seem to be a few issues w/ the Asus RT-N66u right now, I'm not sure if they've all been solved or not.

But it does look like consumer-grade routers and after market firmware is at least staying competitive with pfsense and bigger hardware, which is certainly a good thing for choices!

So that leads to another question: Can these routers' AP's power be cranked to match a PC-based high-power AP? I know with the WRT54G and Tomato/DDWRT you could increase your wireless power output, but I've never been able to compare one with another, has anyone done that around here?
Old August 4, 2012, 10:27 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Only if you use all that crap. The more services you have running on your router the more of a security risk it is....
All what "crap"?

Of course you don't use services like mail/web/news/etc servers on a firewall. You do however use traffic shaping, IDS, IPS, perhaps a proxy and a number of other services related to security and filtering. All of which benefit from a little extra horsepower, especially if servicing a busy LAN.
Old August 4, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the more crap, the more the security risk you're going to have, regardless if it's a mail server or whatever....
Old August 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
Rookie

OK, so I made up my mind and opened my wallet.
I had such good experiences with dd-wrt/tomato, that I thought I'd give the Shibby Tomato version a try, with a brand-new Asus N66! NCIX has them on sale right now (well, in this current sale, I haven't checked this AM if they still have 'stock').

So, I will update everyone with my opinions as I go along, since it seems others are thinking similar thoughts.

I also see all my missing posts have propagated themselves through the moderation 'stuff', sorry about that, but at least all the things I said are here now!

Thanks for reading and the input, and sorry for the moderation gunk!
Old August 10, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy42 View Post
OK, so I made up my mind and opened my wallet.
I had such good experiences with dd-wrt/tomato, that I thought I'd give the Shibby Tomato version a try, with a brand-new Asus N66! NCIX has them on sale right now (well, in this current sale, I haven't checked this AM if they still have 'stock').

So, I will update everyone with my opinions as I go along, since it seems others are thinking similar thoughts.

I also see all my missing posts have propagated themselves through the moderation 'stuff', sorry about that, but at least all the things I said are here now!

Thanks for reading and the input, and sorry for the moderation gunk!
I'm no big network guy, its probably my weakest 'computer' based skillset to be honest. But the one thing I can say is my Asus RT-N16 with tomato on it is the best investment I ever made. Its rock solid more then any other router Ive owned, so these asus routers get my noobie thubs up.

That being said, I debated upgrading to the 66 model for the new wifi 'AC', but until it becomes more prevalent on devices (netbooks, laptops etc) Ive decided to wait. I'm curious (honest inquiry curious) if its worth the upgrade over the N16 model, even for what you're doing?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; August 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old August 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

OK, the RT-N66U arrived finally! What NCIX thinks of 'express' and what I think are different, but it was certainly arrived fast when it finally perkolated through to the shipping department, so no fault to Canada Post!

I'm doing initial tests with it on stock firmware as AP/hub, to replace the faulty G wifi on the venerable-but-slowly-failing WRT54G and to replace the hub from the SMCD3GN Shaw DOCSIS "modem". Have the wifi from the modem turned off as well, so if these initial tests go well I'll ask Shaw to put the modem into bridge mode and start testing the stock nat/etc stuff.

First thing I noticed is that it's beautiful. lol! Cool little box, 3 replaceable antennas. I don't know much about antenna technology, I do have some after-market antennas attached and strung outside the rack, not sure if it's optimal or anything like that.

excerpt of output from: 'sudo iwlist wlan0 scan' command
Code:
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality=70/70  Signal level=-22 dBm  
Encryption key:on
ESSID:"Phoenix"
What the neighbourhood looks like, signal-strength wise:
Code:
$ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan | grep -i signal
                    Quality=67/70  Signal level=-43 dBm  
                    Quality=44/70  Signal level=-66 dBm  
                    Quality=55/70  Signal level=-55 dBm  
                    Quality=70/70  Signal level=-22 dBm  <-- Me
                    Quality=37/70  Signal level=-73 dBm  
                    Quality=31/70  Signal level=-79 dBm  
                    Quality=24/70  Signal level=-86 dBm
Will have to test it with some file transfers and long uptimes and see what happens. 1336PDT today was last time I auto reconnected to IRC (my usual way of finding out when I d/c ), so we'll see what happens!

I'm also testing a RocketFish Wii Lan adapter, cause I was sick of the constant problems with the Wii's networking, and other people were having similar problems with seemingly properly functioning networks. Not sure I'm impressed, it doesn't seem to work with a USB hub, which would seriously suck.
I'll report about that too if folks care.

Thanks!
Old August 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Rookie

2nd thing I've noticed, it's at least very Warm, if not straight-out hot, to the touch.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy42 View Post
2nd thing I've noticed, it's at least very Warm, if not straight-out hot, to the touch.
i have heard that before, i would avoid any kind of overclocking or more power to the antennas:)

now that you have one, does the stock firmware have ip bandwidth usage reporting?

also, if your feeling brave. Asuswrt-Merlin - Custom firmware for RT-AC66U - SmallNetBuilder Forums

looks like its a modified version of the stock firmware so it should still have all the asus enhancements still there.

i think i am still going to grab the ac66 by the 23rd when i get switched over to teksavvy.

edit: wrong link, meant this one. Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware - SmallNetBuilder Forums