Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
Rookie

Yeah, the heat/energy of a machine vs. stand-alone is certainly a factor, these racks can heat up quite fast and I've already gotten 'questions' from the S.O. about fan noise (and she liked the idea of quieter water cooling, which is a further bonus for the future!), not to mention the electricity bill! I do love the ease and relative power of Tomato (wasn't as big a fan of dd-wrt as I was with tomato personally) and the smaller heat/power footprint.

But as NiteOwl said, I do have above-average needs. In fact, pfsense was one of the options I had just learned about and was reading about and I LOVE that per-peer bandwidth usage thingy, certainly a serious bonus. If I could find a non-cisco (don't like their new BS wrt forcing upgrades on their routers. It's not yours after I pay you for it, thank you very much.) 4-port router that cound handle pfsense, well, I'd join the line-up I suppose.

I also didn't mention gigabit as one of the needs, >=4 ports. I thought it went w/o saying, but that's an assumption on my part so I'll state it here. ;) If I were going to go with a PC-based, I'd just buy a small gigabit-switch to add to the system in that case, but this looks like the Asus to get for gigabit: Asus RT-N66U - DD-WRT Wiki

The positives with the PC, at least as I can figure them, other than the larger power and ability, would be it's expandability. I'd need to figure out a good, high-power AP in either PCIE/USB and wouldn't be limited to USB, or what the router came with. I've already got the space allocated in my rack, and while yes I would rather not use the whole 1U, and I'd rather use an Asus or some-such box for those same space reasons (rack space is _always_ at a premium lol!), the primary requirement is (as pretty much always tends to be with me) function over form.
Does anyone have PC-based (PCI/PCIE/USB/?) AP recommendations? That may help make the decision too. If there's something awesome AP wise, I may try and be more fancy with my PC-based solution and go mini-itx and try for a 1U high/0.5U wide box. ;)

Thanks for the recommendations, please keep them coming!
Old August 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
Allstar

You can get the benefits of a higher powered system and the lower power of a small router by using a small Atom based system. Very power efficient and much more compute capable than your normal home router.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Only if you use all that crap. The more services you have running on your router the more of a security risk it is....
Old August 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rookie

i use some of the "crap"

no individual bandwidth monitor is a deal breaker for me, sorry i don't have the same network needs as you.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:15 PM
Rookie

looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)

a bunch of the variations do support per-ip stats, that's very nice.

would my working fine wrt54g still be good or would an upgrade to the asus be a better idea?
Old August 3, 2012, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Mikrotik routers are powerful and cheap. They can easily do per-IP accounting. Their RouterOS can also be run on x86 like an Atom box, but it's not free software.

Actually Tomato can probably do per-IP accounting too, but you'll have to get out of the GUI and into a bash shell to do that. How? Configure an iptables dummy ACCEPT rule for each LAN host, then look to the iptables counters for packet and octet counts. This can be SNMP polled for RRD graphs and etc.

Personally I prefer to make my main router and my wifi AP to be separate devices rather than an all-in-one, so I can manage and upgrade them independently. Any old consumer router with wifi can be made to be a dedicated AP by just disabling the NAT and DHCP stuff and then bridging the LAN ports to the wifi.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rookie

WOW!

I haven't been following tomato much since I had it installed, so other than noticing tomato-usb I haven't changed anything or really kept up.
Following that link from NiteOwl I found the Shibby Mod version of Tomato/Tomato-usb/other:
About Shibby Tomato

This makes me think of a stand-alone router again. Includes per IP traffic monitoring, advanced QoS (which I'd like to figure out to ensure torrents don't steal priority, amongst other reasons), USB 3G stick support.

[Sorry Moderators BTW, not sure what happened to the previous message I had here. Tried to edit it to add a link to the new gigabit Asus router and stepped on my own toes. It seems lost to me now.]
Old August 3, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteOwl View Post
looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)

a bunch of the variations do support per-ip stats, that's very nice.

would my working fine wrt54g still be good or would an upgrade to the asus be a better idea?
I believe the wrt54g will work for download speeds between 25 and 50mbit, probably right around the middle of those two points.

If your internet connection is 30mbit or slower then you should be perfectly fine.
Old August 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I believe the wrt54g will work for download speeds between 25 and 50mbit, probably right around the middle of those two points.

If your internet connection is 30mbit or slower then you should be perfectly fine.
my old router could get those speeds but I wanted wireless N even though I really don't need it since it is way to hard for my parents to figure out how to use a different media player then the old WD one I game them.
Old August 3, 2012, 06:49 PM
Rookie

The WRT54 is a wonderful unit if you get the right one, but I think Perineum's right with it's capabilities. Great for low- range, high-end home setups, but anything needing real power and it starts to show it's age. Nevermind only doing 100mbit switch.
Like my poor thing is doing right now with it's every-5-minute disconnects, and it's not even functioning as anything other than simple AP and switch, no other services on it at all.
YAY I'm back! lol! I can hit 'post quick reply' now, and quick b4 I D/C again! ;)