Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2012, 08:08 AM
Rookie

Default Gigabit ONLY router - No WIFI or VPN

Folks,

I'm looking for an (relatively) inexpensive router (i.e. $100 or less) that has at-least 4 gigabit lan port, no wireless and no inbound vpn capabilities.

Due to where it's going to be installed, we do not want to have a router with wireless or vpn inbound even of those function are disabled.

Simplistically, we are looking for the equiv of a BEFSR41 that is Gigabit instead of FastE.

It's looking like that type or router does not exist anymore (found ref to an old ASUS RX3141 that might have done the trick), unless you get into the more expensive commercial devices....

My fall back is a 10/100 wired only router with a gigabit switch behind it.

On a more theoretical side, why is it these days, that all the manufacturers think that if you want gigabit, you must also want to have VPN or Wireless?..... (unless you are a business with $$$ to spend)...

Little Brutus
Old July 30, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You aren't going to find a non-enterprise (ie: inexpensive) router that meets your requirements. You'd be better off building your own router or hacking apart an existing one. Your fall back solution would work as well.

As to why consumer routers always have wireless/VPN features, it's simply because more features makes for easier marketing. Consumer level requirements don't include bulletproof security so just giving the option to disable wireless is good enough.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah, sounds like your fallback option is going to be your best bet.

As mentioned manufacturers are adding wireless to pretty much all of their routers because that is where the market is right now. Aside from the few very rare cases, most people want wireless functionality in their router, so hence that is what the products are catering towards. As for VPN functionality, it is another marketing point, and is simply software so very cheap to add.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

good luck with that

it's a competitive market and manufacturers will add on in-expensive features to try and edge out a sale. More is better than quality right? :P
Old July 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Pretty much expected that.

A little disappointing that there are a bunch (at least a selection) of wired only 10/100, but no gigabit.

Going to be a bit more of an issue in the future when broadband connections routinely exceed 100mbit.

More annoying is that what I'm looking for USED to exist <GRIN>.

Personally I dislike the "all in one device" solutions. You only end up with the mediocre implementations of each (routing, wireless, switching....)
Old July 30, 2012, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess we're lucky we live in Canada then, right? Those 100mbit routers are going to last us another two decades at least!
Old July 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Switch ?

shopRBC.com :: Netgear ProSafe 8-Port Switch w/4-Port PoE

Like that ?
Old July 30, 2012, 02:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Brutus View Post
Personally I dislike the "all in one device" solutions. You only end up with the mediocre implementations of each (routing, wireless, switching....)
Kind of contradicting yourself since even a consumer wired router is more than just a router. It's a firewall and performs NAT and switching. ;)

I say just buy a wireless router and cut off the antennas leads. Majority of routers are pretty easy to open up.

If you buy any old wired-only router, it's going to have much slower routing performance compared to the current crop of wireless routers.

Just make sure you put a strong password on the admin interface and you should be fine IMO. If you want to go further, somehow prevent access to the reset button on the router. Super glue a piece of metal/wood over it or do something along those lines.

Otherwise, look into an appliance such as this: RouterBoard.com : RB750GL however it's far more challenging to configure.

Last edited by JD; July 30, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I guess we're lucky we live in Canada then, right? Those 100mbit routers are going to last us another two decades at least!
Well, Rogers is getting close (Ultimate moving to 75/10).

However, Bell now has FTTH in some areas. One of their packages is 175/175, however not cheap <G>.... and it's Bell.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Top Prospect

something like this?
RouterBoard.com : RB750GL
Not sure what the "router os" is like but they do have Canadian distributors that you could buy from