Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
MVP

Default Some folders wth?

This is something I noticed in the past (but now it is getting on my nerves).

I have all permissions set properly, shares properly etc. Everything I can think of. HomeGroup Sharing blah blah blah.

I have a pictures folder with folders in it (approx 600 folders in the main picture folder on a backup drive). I can access 99% of the folders fine (they've gotten shared perfectly fine when adding them to HomeGroup Shared). Yet the odd one keeps giving me Windows cannot access\\gamingrigii\d\Backups\All Pictures\House Pictures. Because Windows 7 isn't adding it to the HomeGroup for sharing (when I added the main All Pictures to the HomeGroup Share).

It just doesn't make sense. I can't figure out why the other 590 folders get added fine, yet there are a few that won't get added to the HomeGroup sharing. In order to get into these odd folders. I have to first come across the problem folder and then manually add it to the homegroup share.

Anyone else had this issue and or know about this problem? And is there a easy fix?

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old July 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
This is something I noticed in the past (but now it is getting on my nerves).

I have all permissions set properly, shares properly etc. Everything I can think of. HomeGroup Sharing blah blah blah.

I have a pictures folder with folders in it (approx 600 folders in the main picture folder on a backup drive). I can access 99% of the folders fine (they've gotten shared perfectly fine when adding them to HomeGroup Shared). Yet the odd one keeps giving me Windows cannot access\\gamingrigii\d\Backups\All Pictures\House Pictures. Because Windows 7 isn't adding it to the HomeGroup for sharing (when I added the main All Pictures to the HomeGroup Share).

It just doesn't make sense. I can't figure out why the other 590 folders get added fine, yet there are a few that won't get added to the HomeGroup sharing. In order to get into these odd folders. I have to first come across the problem folder and then manually add it to the homegroup share.

Anyone else had this issue and or know about this problem? And is there a easy fix?
I've had the same problem when sharing with homegroup. Not sure if it's an option for you or not, but I now always share with "everyone".
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old July 29, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know what you mean the same thing happens to me I don't even bother with home group any more it is just to screwy for me, I used to never have a problem with it but now it just doesn't work.
I ended up just right clicking some folder and doing the allow all and just connecting to it via network, I just make sure that the folders I do this to have nothing I don't want messed with inside. I know that this is totally the wrong thing to do but it is the only way for me to share anything across my networks laptops and PCs
Old July 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
MVP

OK thanks guys. I reckon this is what I will have to do.

I hope this doesn't get worse (folder sharing issue's), forcing me to upgrade to Windows 8 - Hey wait a second!/s

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old July 29, 2012, 02:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Does anybody out there have suggestions for an open source win7 compatible internal network sharing app/program? I've had issues as well and the only solution I've found is to either share with "everybody", or create a new folder in homegroup for sharing purposes and transfer the information over.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you want to share with a specific client, create a User Profile for that client on the PC that is 'sharing' the folders.

Hope this helps