Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 23, 2012, 03:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default YouTube fast, gaming sucks

Hi all.

Yeah more problems. So I have finally moved my computer to another room. Returning back is not an option. I had no choice but to go wireless. I took my GF's G wireless card and stick it between my two GPUs (only space available.

Since the move, I have constant 80% signal and internet is fast as hell. When I go in SWTOR, in takes seconds or minutes but I get the latency to go haywire and it goes up and up and up and never returns unless I quit the game. In D3, the latency switches around 100ms to 125ms but I sometimes get hangs for a second or two.

In both games, when I lag, I immediately alt-tab and try some Google search and to ready YouTube vids. Everything goes without any glitch. The card goes very good for normal internet but gaming sucks.

Router : Cisco/Linksys E1000
PCI : WMP54G
Signal strenght : 80%
Both speedtest and pintest give me excellent results.

Do you think an N PCI would help? Or is it due to the PCI card beeping stuck between two 80ish degrees GPUs?

Gameplay > Graphics ... oh wait

Food > Gameplay > Graphics > Movies > Sleep > Work
Old July 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Wireless G rather or kind of sucks these days. It's sounding like you're getting packet drops that add up to your game lagging out for a few seconds or entirely.

I'd recommend going with either wireless N, or more then likely go with Ethernet over power. That way you're running a wired connection (over your house's wiring) giving you better guaranteed speeds then the unreliable you're getting right now.
Old July 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Wireless G rather or kind of sucks these days. It's sounding like you're getting packet drops that add up to your game lagging out for a few seconds or entirely.

I'd recommend going with either wireless N, or more then likely go with Ethernet over power. That way you're running a wired connection (over your house's wiring) giving you better guaranteed speeds then the unreliable you're getting right now.
I totally agree with this, i would not even dream of trying to game on anything less then wireless N nowadays. I would say 150 should be alright but if you can go 300 just to make sure. The Ethernet over power is also an excellent option and the better of the two.
Old July 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with the wireless N. With about 20-40% signal, I'm able to play online games on my laptop with very low ping (sometimes less than 60, and from Quebec) and no lag spikes. You could also play on Nagle and MTU to reduce your ping and maybe the lag spikes, but that's not the best solution IMO.
Old July 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Powerline would be the only option for gaming IMHO, it's the only sure fire way to have a good ping.
Old July 24, 2012, 03:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update : I bought a WMP600N and since then, I get better results but not perfect. Funny thing is I dropped from a 70%~90% to a 50%~70% signal strength. I updated to latest drivers and saw a small but futile difference (was 50% OR 70% before, now ranges between 50% and 72%).

Didn't tried D3 yet, SWTOR : I was able to play correctly without any glitch. Meanwhile SWTOR team (Bioware) has also given me some troubleshooting (including low FPS ... they all think we are stupid and can't differentiate between GPU problems and network ...).

So that's it, I'll continue to try during the following days. For now I am only unsatisfied with the major drop in signal strength. Might be related or not but the WMP600N has two short antennas (dual band) but the WMP54G had a giant one.

Anyone knows why I dropped so much in signal, even though quality is better.

Old July 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

Wireless sucks. Either run a cable or get Power over Ethernet.

There is so much interference in my building that I can't even stream a 720p video some days.

Some of the 500mbps one are actually as speedy as 100mbit wired connection. (Ya gotta love there speed claims.)
Old July 24, 2012, 11:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoo View Post
In both games, when I lag, I immediately alt-tab and try some Google search and to ready YouTube vids. Everything goes without any glitch. The card goes very good for normal internet but gaming sucks.
The GPUs are blasting away and your connection speed goes to trash
The GPUs go to sleep, and your connection speed wakes up

Could the GPUs somehow interfer with the wireless signal?
Old July 25, 2012, 04:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Tried yesterday night and no result. I removed my second GPU and moved the adapter to the further PCI from the remaining GPU. I saw absolutly no change in signal quality/speed.

Good try!

Could it be that the E1000 is limitting the connection? I am using WPA2 and various other devices uses G. I am at ~30 feet of the router.

Old July 25, 2012, 08:06 AM
Allstar

I have similar issues but I solved it by getting a ethernet coax kit instead. I tried the following until I finally gave up and got an Actiontec MOCA kit:

1. Boost my Linksys E3000 power output using Tomato firmware, fail completely. The router is in the basement and I'm on the 2nd floor.
2. Use Powerline kit, less fail but still pretty bad. World of Tanks lag spikes and I can't even stream videos from server in the basement to my computer upstairs.
3. Use wireless bridge, better than Powerline but still lag spikes in game and can't stream.
4. Use HomePNA kit (another ethernet coax kit). Fails because it doesn't work with DOCSIS cable internet.

I suggest you try boosting the router's power output first using DD-WRT and then scan the wifi channels. The lack of external antenna is a problem with the E-line. My old Linksys G have those huge antenna and they work great.