Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need better wireless access point/router

Ok, so I am looking for a better wireless solution. Right now I have the Actiontec 1000H from Telus. This has been working fine for a basic router (well passable really) but the wireless is really pathetic. I mean my neighbors signals are stronger on my phone than mine is.

So I am looking for either a straight AP or a decent wireless router. If it is a router I would only be running it as an AP. The reason for that is to avoid the double NAT issues and all the Telus crap with not easily being able to bridge things. I might down the road get it all to work off of a different router but really my main issue now is just wireless strength.

So any recommendations out there? I am also going to be trying to be as cheap as I can with this, but I still need quality. So best performance for lowest price is what I am looking for.

Old July 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I prefer the Asus RT-N16

However it's not the cheapest. Upgradable antennas are a good thing too.... Tomato or DD-WRT loads on fine as well, with all the trimmings.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just wondering what you have on it? Do you have Tomato or DD-WRT? Looks like most reviews say that it sucks unless you have either one of those firmwares on it. But the price is not bad as it is on for only $80 at Memory Express right now.

Actually does anyone have the Asus RT-N56U? Seems like it is the next evolution of that RT-N16. It seems to get some decent reviews online.

Last edited by ipaine; July 21, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus has been pretty diligent with their router firmware updates in the past 2 years, the newer RT-N16's now ship with AsusWRT, which is basically a rebranded DD-WRT. If there's no need for the 5ghz band, the RT-N16 is probably your best bet. (they often get as low as ~$70-80 on sale)
Old July 23, 2012, 08:48 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Actually does anyone have the Asus RT-N56U? Seems like it is the next evolution of that RT-N16. It seems to get some decent reviews online.
I've had the RT-N56U for the past year. Firmware is fisher-price ugly, but it's been solid for me, and Asus has been pretty diligently updating it.
Old July 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The RT-N56U is considered one of the best routers to my knowledge, capable of very fast LAN to WAN speeds, important if you're running over 100mbit download speeds from your ISP.

Otherwise, if you're not using 5ghz wireless and have no use for that speed then the RT-N16 still gets my vote, and you can replace the antennas.... which is something I don't believe you can do on the RT-N56U

Using DD-WRT and 9db antennas I've been told that my AP is accessable a block away. Yay for long and convoluted passwords.

This brute force ugliness is what I've resorted to in order to make my wifi work because EVERYONE here has wireless modems now, which are all turned on, regardless of whether they use them or not. Channel saturation here is disgusting.
Old July 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Allstar

I've been pleased with the results from a Netgear WNDR3800.