Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
Allstar

Default Trendnet TPA-311

I just picked up 2 of these from NCIX, after 3 weeks of waiting for a warehouse transfer. The units are re-packaged (refurbed?!) and doesn't come with any manual. I tried hooking it up but it doesn't work. Anyone else here use cable broadband and use TPA-311? I fired off an email to Trendnet but since it's the weekend, I don't expect them to answer until Tuesday. My current set up:

Wall coax -> splitter --> modem -> router -> TPA-311 (cat5) -> TPA-311 (HPNA) -> splitter

I also tried the following but the modem will not go online:

Wall coax --> TPA-311 (HPNA coax) --> TPA-311 (TV coax) --> modem --> router --> TPA-311 (cat5)
Old June 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Allstar

Saw this on wiki about HPNA 3.1 standards:

Quote:
Does not coexist with DOCSIS
Does that mean I'm boned?
Old June 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
Trial Member

Yo Moocow,
I was considering ordering a couple of these myself in the next few weeks. I'd looked into these some months ago and hadn't until now heard about this DOCSIS incompatibility. I don't know if I understood your 1st connection description properly or the installation in general but I would have expected it to be as follows.

Your 1st method:
Wall coax -> splitter --> modem -> router -> TPA-311 (cat5) -> TPA-311 (HPNA) -> splitter

I would have thought it went like this:
Wall coax -> splitter --> modem -> router -> TPA-311 in primary location connects to network (router) via cat5 -> [-> From network connected primary TPA-311 unit to coax]-> [from coax in remote location -> secondary TPA-311] -> [from network connected secondary TPA-311 via cat5 to device]

Have you had any success since June 11th?
Old June 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Allstar

None what so ever and to clarify I connect the router to the 1st TPA unit via Cat5 and then connect the 1st unit's HPNA port back to the splitter. I opened a ticket with Trendnet last week and still haven't heard back. The incompatibility with DOCSIS is actually listed in HomePNA's alliance webpage so I'm pretty sure I'm boned. I ordered a pair of Actiontec MOCA adapter from Amazon and they should be here next week. I'll keep you inform.

HomePNA - FAQ

The only way I see how this would work with DOCSIS is if you have 2 separate COAX wiring in the house but since no one build houses like that, it will not work unless you switch to the older phone line version. I did call Shaw asking if HomePNA will work but the CSR never heard of it but did say MOCA should work since their gateway are MOCA as well. I didn't want to wait for a month for the Actiontec units to come in and order the Trendnet hoping for the best. Now it still took me 1.5 months to get the MOCA units to come in and still stuck with useless Trendnet units.

I will keep the TPA-311 units for now because I may move out to a building with DSL instead of cable (DOCSIS).
Old July 1, 2012, 05:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

is the network working at all? I don't know much about networking but I have done a lot of cable runs for satellite dishes and splitters in general are garbage and love to burn out. Make sure you have the right type.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
Allstar

I finally got my hands on a set of Actiontec MOCA adapters and I can confirm it's working with Shaw Cable.