Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Default Teksavvy modem not communicating with router

Hello,

We bought a new Netgear WNDR3400 router the other day with the intention of replacing our previous wireless router. However for whatever reason, we cannot get it to communicate with our internet modem. The router works just fine, but no internet will come through. Even the light on the front for the internet connection remains orange when plugged in.

We are in Ontario with Teksavvy and using a Thomson DCM475 cable modem.

The strange thing is, our previous wireless router was a Netgear WNR2000 and it works just fine with the modem and get's internet.

I have the understanding that Teksavvy's service is done dynamically and it should essentially be plug-and-play, but with this new router that isn't happening. I've tried changing the MAC address to the one of the old router, and have gone through tech support with Netgear, and even exchanged this router for a new one, and still nothing. Teksavvy's support was pretty useless. :)

If anybody could offer assistance as to what the problem could even be, I would be very grateful. I think it's on the modem's/Teksavvy's side as the router otherwise works perfecty (and we even tried using a Linksys E2500 originally, same problems).

I just find it really strange that the old netgear router (what I'm using currently) has no problem. Is it a compatibility issue with the modem?

Thank you!
Old June 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing you didn't mention was powering the modem on/off and/or resetting it prior to hooking up the new router. I'm assuming that's been done since you went through two different tech supports. Other than that... does the modem work if you connect your PC directly to it? If so, then it's something to do with the router... cable modems are pretty well plug and play, they're always on.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The only thing you didn't mention was powering the modem on/off and/or resetting it prior to hooking up the new router. I'm assuming that's been done since you went through two different tech supports. Other than that... does the modem work if you connect your PC directly to it? If so, then it's something to do with the router... cable modems are pretty well plug and play, they're always on.
Yeah, I've gone through powercycling... many times :/

Yes it works. And it does work with the other old router like I said (I'm using that right now to post this).

And I would think it's the router too except that I've already gone through three different new routers, two of which were the same model and the third being a different brand altogether.
Old June 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you may need to login to your teksavvy modem and reset it i had to when i moved adn switched routers i can for the life of me remember how to get to it but google will then just power cycle it once reset with the new router adn bang you'll be on the money
Old June 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
Trial Member

I had a problem very similar to this (I found your post when googling for a solution). Just got it working. What worked for me (which may or may not work for you) was:

-Connect router to modem - both have power on.
-At this point I was getting the orange internet light ("i" light) and couldn't connect no matter how many times I tried connecting in the router's admin interface
-I had no login, dynamic ip, dynamic dns, and had changed it to "use this MAC address"
-then I got a paper clip, pressed the reset on the MODEM
-all lights went off, then came on in sequence on the modem
-router's internet connection went from orange to green and it's now connected.

No idea why this work, and I can't help you further if it doesn't work for you, but something to try.