Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Allstar

Default cable modems & Rogers bandwidth: scam?

Has anyone been talking with Rogers in the past 4 months about your cable bandwidth? I recall an email from them saying everyone's speed and bandwidth were being upgraded at no charge. So I looked into my service plan that still has a 60gb limit then something like $2/gb after that. No b/w upgrade has applied for the past 3 bill cycles. I'm pretty anal about my bandwidth usage and keep close tabs on it.

Now when I call them about it, they say my modem is too old to be eligible for the extra monthly bandwidth and speed. (I bought the modem years ago in a Futureshop deal when Rogers gave you back credit for the purchase price, it is not a DOCSIS modem so I know my speed is capped at some amount). But how can they limit your bandwidth purely on a hardware upgrade?

I know I can buy an extra 20gb for $5/month, I've done that before, but then my loyalty discount won't apply (according to them). So now when I asked how much will this new modem cost if I agree, they will give me my loyalty discount on a new modem rental which amounts to $4.90 month but only gives me the extra 10gb/mon under the new plan [with some speed upgrade but i didnt ask how much, frankly it doesn't matter right now].

Does this make sense to you? Or is it just a ploy to get us to use some new hardware that possibly lets them throttle or spy on us more?
Old June 13, 2012, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like they want to upgrade you from a legacy modem to something they actually support and have manufacturer support from as well.

I know when they announced the speed and cap increase I saw the speed increase a few days before the notice, and since my next billing cycle (from the announcement) my cap was increased.
Old June 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

60GB bandwidth cap is awful, even inhumane. I won't give any of my business to Rogers at all, even cellphone.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

shaw has the same thing as does eastlink. they have two types of modems available and the first will cap your account to like 20Mbps whwre if you use the second one your account can use higher bandwidth.

so if you want the perks don't be lazy
Old June 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Having worked Rogers HSI tech support for almost a year I believe I can safely say that it's not a "Scam" on the CS part, it's the way the system is set up. The system will quite simply not allow a package to be selected for an account if the hardware isn't compatible, and in this case, even though the higher cap is something your current modem can do, I'm assuming that the higher speed requires a docsis 3 modem and thus won't allow the system to put your account on the new package.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
shaw has the same thing as does eastlink. they have two types of modems available and the first will cap your account to like 20Mbps whwre if you use the second one your account can use higher bandwidth.

so if you want the perks don't be lazy
DOCSIS 2.0 vs DOCSIS 3.0

DOCSIS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old June 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Having worked Rogers HSI tech support for almost a year I believe I can safely say that it's not a "Scam" on the CS part, it's the way the system is set up. The system will quite simply not allow a package to be selected for an account if the hardware isn't compatible, and in this case, even though the higher cap is something your current modem can do, I'm assuming that the higher speed requires a docsis 3 modem and thus won't allow the system to put your account on the new package.
OK, let's not call it a scam then. How about creative marketing. I don't even really need the speed upgrade, so Docsis isn't required. This is a way to sell more hardware to the unsuspecting/uneducated public. Shady or not, I'm not a fan of it, I may even not upgrade just to spite them, but they have given me good service and good discounts now that I've paid my dues so to speak, by being a customer for so long.

enaberif, I wouldn't call it being lazy, it's being practical. Would you buy premium gas for a Ford Pinto?
Old June 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
OK, let's not call it a scam then. How about creative marketing. I don't even really need the speed upgrade, so Docsis isn't required. This is a way to sell more hardware to the unsuspecting/uneducated public. Shady or not, I'm not a fan of it, I may even not upgrade just to spite them, but they have given me good service and good discounts now that I've paid my dues so to speak, by being a customer for so long.

enaberif, I wouldn't call it being lazy, it's being practical. Would you buy premium gas for a Ford Pinto?
You may be being practical, but at some point they're going to just outright stop supporting your modem. As it stands, over the last couple of years they've completely stopped allowing folks to get third party modems provisioned... these days if you want to setup a new rogers cable internet account, you have to use a rogers modem. Might not make folks happy, but it's their system, their rules.

In your case though, it's not even a branding issue... it's similar to a phone company saying that your rotary dial phone isn't compatible with their new packages, and that sooner or later they're just going to stop supporting it all together.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
Allstar

OK, well let me count my options:
-do nothing and live with 60gb/mon
-rent a new modem and get the 70gb but add $5 to my plan
-buy a new modem outright and save in the long run

Will any docsis modem do the job? I see some on kijiji.
Old June 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What speed are you currently and what would you be bumped up to "for free"