Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Rookie

Default Strange Wireless Behaviour

I tried to search this first, but it's such a weird thing I didn't know how to search for it.

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

This has happened a couple times in the last few months.

I have a laptop, M51sn with intel 4965AGN installed (according to device manager). A few times now I have gone to use the computer and it can't find my network. Here is where it get's weird.

If i switch the toggle to turn the wireless device on or off it sometimes says ON when i have the toggle in the off position and vice versa. The function key for during wireless on or off sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Troubleshooting always tells me that it needs to reset the adapter or asks me to turn it back on. resetting the adapter or switching it "on" have no effect.

To add to this while the network icon in the system tray says no connections available if I click on it and hit refresh all the networks in the area will show up but then when I try to click on a network to connect it goes back to no connections available.

what I have tried

-re-installing drivers
-restarted the computer
-restore point
-resetting adapter
-turning on and off the adapter multiple times
-making sure pc is not allowed to put adapter to sleep
-making sure the pc is set to give full power to the adapter

I should mention I have been running windows 7 on this laptop for over a year now and the problem is only recent.

Is the wireless card dieing? what the heck is going on?

It's now working again. seemingly after a random number of restarts and re-installs. I walked away and an hour later it was just working again. This is the same as the last time.
Old June 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Pull the adapter out make sure the antenna is connected properly, gently blow on the connector. My dads laptop had the same issue and reseating the wireless adapter worked for me.
Old June 12, 2012, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Gave this a try, will see what happens.

Since it's an intermittent problem I won't know for a while if it works so i thank you in advance for the tip.