Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Home Server Questions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/54643-home-server-questions.html)

deinosaur June 10, 2012 12:05 PM

Home Server Questions

Hello guys, I have a few questions for you since I am complete newbie at networking and setting up a server. I have put the money in, and have built myself a home server and ready to begin. Before I do this, I want some questions answered so I know what I will be capable of doing. I will list my setup so you guys have an idea of what I am working with.

For hardware, Basically it is a air cooled system using a Corsair 550D tower. It's an X58 setup, using a i7 950 quad core, 12 GB of ram and an ASUS board. I will be running Windows Server 2008 R2 but this is questionable considering my needs are purely media based.

Basically, the purpose of my server is to hold all my files so that I can be organized and not have a bunch of a different files all over the place. I want to keep important files on there and documents and have easy access to them when I need them, apart from my main desktop. It's a back up server. so here are my questions.

1. I want to know if its possible for my server computer to have access to the internet using my ISP router but be hosting an internal network at the same time using a hub or switch. What kind of hardware would I need if this is possible? and how would I connect it? My motherboard has only 1 gigabit port so maybe If I get a LAN card?

2. Is there any device on the market, or any type of configuration of a switch etc. to allow my Samsung Smart TV connect to my server and play movies off it? So for example, on my TV .. I would like to connect to my server, find my movies folder and pick a movie to play on my TV. My movies are .mkv and are about 10-12GB each since they are 720 -1080p quality. It is very important that this be done using a Wireless connection. People keep telling me to get a wire but that would mean running a wire down my stairs ... so if this can be done wirelessly I would really appreciate some advice on how to set that up!

3. Considering question 2, and setting up a Domain on R2 ... would I have to join my TV to the domain in order to access the files on the server? I know that must sound stupid, it even does to me .... but it makes me think of how my TV would access my server.

That's it for now, I know a lot of you networking guys will think I am huge idiot. That's alright, I am new to this but have the desire to learn. I will be doing a lot of research on Google but figured it would be good to also hear from experienced network users. The computer is built, and I am ready to go! so any advice would be greatly appreciated for sure. Thanks. :thumb:

By the way, I will have only my main desktop connected to this server computer and if I can get the TV going that be awesome. It's really my only goal right now. I will probably expand once I learn more of the potential of this technology.

lowfat June 10, 2012 12:21 PM

1. Do you have any extra ports on the router provided by your ISP? If so you can just plug in to it. Nothing special required.

2. Seems your TV is DLNA compliant. Serviio media server Take a look there. I've never actually used any DLNA devices but it should work well enough. You may have issues streaming it wirelessly w/o being choppy though.

3. Uhh.. see above I think.

deinosaur June 10, 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 633547)
1. Do you have any extra ports on the router provided by your ISP? If so you can just plug in to it. Nothing special required.

2. Seems your TV is DLNA compliant. Serviio media server Take a look there. I've never actually used any DLNA devices but it should work well enough. You may have issues streaming it wirelessly w/o being choppy though.

3. Uhh.. see above I think.

Very cool man. I will look into that software.

moocow June 10, 2012 01:34 PM

You could try using HomePNA coax network kit from Trendnet or Actiontec. The problem would be tracking down stock for them since mine is back order from NCIX (waiting for ON warehouse transfer to BC). I never used HomePNA but I have tried Powerline network and they suck worst than wireless bridging between 2 router. The other standard is MOCA but no one really make them beside Actiontec and there's a month back order from everyone. The rig you're is overkill for file storage and media serving. May be you can sell it and down size to an ITX rig with RAID card?

lowfat June 10, 2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocow (Post 633573)
You could try using HomePNA coax network kit from Trendnet or Actiontec. The problem would be tracking down stock for them since mine is back order from NCIX (waiting for ON warehouse transfer to BC). I never used HomePNA but I have tried Powerline network and they suck worst than wireless bridging between 2 router. The other standard is MOCA but no one really make them beside Actiontec and there's a month back order from everyone. The rig you're is overkill for file storage and media serving. May be you can sell it and down size to an ITX rig with RAID card?

http://smiliesftw.com/x/werdrun2.gif

Pretty much any rig could be used for this.

BlueByte June 10, 2012 04:48 PM

Seems like overkill if this is purely media server, even if you have on the fly transcoding for mobile devices like Orb it is overkill. If you want to do more with your server then cool you have lots of headroom.

1) So do you want your server to act as a proxy and do internet filtering/caching or something?
2) DLNA sounds like a good idea, but just to warn you it is slow.... really really really slow at loading folders. a console, HTPC, or media device that just browses SMB will be faster.
3) Why? if you don't know what you are getting into you are asking for a world of hurt setting this up for home. The default domain setup will most likely lock you out of your desktop for anything that requires admin rights. For home and novice use almost anything else then a domain. Honestly I don't run a domain at my place because I don't need to, Home Server 2011 works fine and is lazy. But if you insist on a domain you will need to enable the guest account in server 2008, it is disabled by default. The "everyone" group does not cut it any more and give only access to your media folder. You can create a user name, but some devices might not play nicely with the login credentials for the domain. Open it wide up, test to see how everything works, then try to close it back up with a username & password and hope it works with whatever your streaming device is.

deinosaur June 10, 2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueByte (Post 633616)
Seems like overkill if this is purely media server, even if you have on the fly transcoding for mobile devices like Orb it is overkill. If you want to do more with your server then cool you have lots of headroom.

1) So do you want your server to act as a proxy and do internet filtering/caching or something?
2) DLNA sounds like a good idea, but just to warn you it is slow.... really really really slow at loading folders. a console, HTPC, or media device that just browses SMB will be faster.
3) Why? if you don't know what you are getting into you are asking for a world of hurt setting this up for home. The default domain setup will most likely lock you out of your desktop for anything that requires admin rights. For home and novice use almost anything else then a domain. Honestly I don't run a domain at my place because I don't need to, Home Server 2011 works fine and is lazy. But if you insist on a domain you will need to enable the guest account in server 2008, it is disabled by default. The "everyone" group does not cut it any more and give only access to your media folder. You can create a user name, but some devices might not play nicely with the login credentials for the domain. Open it wide up, test to see how everything works, then try to close it back up with a username & password and hope it works with whatever your streaming device is.

It doesn't have to be a domain. It doesn't even have to be R2. I just want to be able to share my media with my desktop using an internal network and then stream my files to my TV without choppiness. I think domains are mostly for business needs, I just mentioned that because it's what I work with at college for my Windows Active Directory class and System Services. I'll just mess around and see what I can do.

The computer is also over kill but I bought most the stuff used so it wasn't too bad. I got some of the stuff from these forums. Had no problems installing, spent about 700 for the entire build. not too bad.

Perineum June 11, 2012 10:03 AM

A Windows 7 install with a SMB share will do what you want, except you may need a media player for your TV, depending on how "smart" it is.

Do *not* try wireless, just get a wire. It'll take more effort but it will be less frustrating in the long run.

Arinoth June 11, 2012 12:17 PM

You're not going to be able to do wireless streaming at 1080p without there being a large chance of it being choppy as it doesn't have enough guaranteed throughput to do it (wireless N, wireless G just give up now and run a wire)

You may need an htpc as I don't know if your TV will be able to natively decode 1080p mkv files.

Prolab June 11, 2012 10:20 PM

If your streaming 1080p movies wirelessly - dont do it. You'll just get pissed off cause of the choppiness.

Nothing, i mean nothing beats wired.