Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2012, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Multiple pc on cable modem

I'm a total newb with networking...

We changed our phone from bell to cable, I would now need a dry loop for my internet (teksavvy), but for the same money (extra 10$/month) I can get a bit faster download if I switch to cable internet (still with teksavvy of course).

But...I currently have a speedtouch 546 with 4 ports and I'm using 3 of them, 2 pc and 1 for home theater.
I'll need to get a cable modem (probably Moto sb6120) but noticed all the cable modems have only one port...????

So now I need to know...

- Can I just get a switch ??
- or do I need to buy a router ?? if so, what would be a good/cheap one ??

ps: I don't want wireless
Old June 2, 2012, 05:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well the reason it only has one port is because I believe it is a pure modem, meaning that's all it does. What Bell and Rogers normally do/offer are the modems that have routers built into them. That's why they typically include 4 ports on them. Personally I hate the software normally installed on this modem/router hybrids, disable the router portion and run it to a router of my choosing instead.

For yourself, you're going to need an actual router, as that modem you have mentioned there is not part router. If you were to just use a switch it wouldn't really work as it does not do DNS, meaning none of your computers would be getting unique IP addresses and you wouldn't have a home network (resulting in collisions, which is bad).

It seems most of today's routers come with wireless on them, however if you have no interest in using wireless, you can easily go into the router and disable it. Hell I've had the same wireless router for several years, having wireless disabled until getting a smartphone/playbook and enabling it them. Same case for my folks, until they got a laptop, had wireless disabled on their wireless routers for years.
Old June 2, 2012, 08:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks Arinoth...

Can I use something like this ??

Linksys BEFSR41
Old June 2, 2012, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How much traffic do you do? Are there a lot of Torrents running at once?

Personally, I've moved everything internal up to 1K ethernet, but routers with gig ports are pricy so the poor man's solution is a standard 10/100 router with a $20 1K switch for the internal connections. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 2, 2012, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

sswilson I really feel like an idiot cause I have no idea what your talking about.
All this because the woman wanted to save a few penny for her long distance calls.....somehow facebook isn't enough.

I do download torrents and then keep it open to seed.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
sswilson I really feel like an idiot cause I have no idea what your talking about.
All this because the woman wanted to save a few penny for her long distance calls.....somehow facebook isn't enough.

I do download torrents and then keep it open to seed.
He's talking about the speed of the ethernet ports on the router. The router you linked has 10/100 ports, meaning traffic going through that router is limited to 100 bits per second. (or 10 if your hardware is that old)

The question he's asking is whether or not you need 1000 bits per second to accommodate torrent traffic/internal file transfers.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The question he's asking is whether or not you need 1000 bits per second to accommodate torrent traffic/internal file transfers.

Man...I'm still not sure what to tell you guys, I don't know how to find the answer...

I'm planning on going for the 8Mb/1Mb cable from Teksavvy and I just want a modem with at least 3 ethernet ports.

Thanks for your patience.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.... no problems.

Pretty well any router you chose will be fine. I'd recommend against going with a non-wireless one as it's going to be old stock (pretty sure they don't make them any more unless you're putting out the coin to purchase a fairly expensive pro model), just ensure you turn off the wireless mode in the router and/or disconnect the anntena(s) if you don't plan on using it.

As far as 10/100 (speed) vice 10/100/1000 ports are concerned.... pretty well all ethernet connections on PCs these days allow for a 1000 connection, but consumer routers haven't kept pace unless you buy a higher end model. It's really only a concern if you do a lot of file transfers between computers in your household, it won't affect your internet speed at all.

edit: Hopefully somebody here with a techsavvy cable account will chime in... there are probably modem/router combos that will work for your situation as well as a modem + router setup.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like wireless with wireless mode off it is.

Thanks for everything guys, much appreciated.
Old June 2, 2012, 03:10 PM
Allstar

There are reasonably priced wired routers with built in switches if you want to look for them. Here's one that works well for a decent price: Netgear FVS318NA CABLE/DSL Prosafe VPN Firewall with 8 Port 10/100 Switch - Netgear - FVS318NA