Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
Rookie

Default Question about Coaxial to Ethernet Adapter

Hello, I have a question about a network adapter I am about to purchase [ TRENDnet TPA-311 HomePNA 3.1 Coaxial Cable to Ethernet Adapter Up to 256MBPS Single Unit - TRENDnet - TPA-311 ]. I am concerned that it may not work the way I want it to however, my plan is to put this in my room so I can get a direct internet connection to my computer through the ethernet ports on the adapter. My internet provider is Shaw I have a coaxial cable which runs into my room which I believe internet and TV signals. If I buy this network adapter, will I be able to get a direct internet connection through it by using the coaxial connection in my room?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

no. you still need a cable modem.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:14 PM
Rookie

Well I have a modem in my living room, I was hoping this could act like a switch so I would not have to connect an ethernet cable all the way from my living room to my room. Why would this not work?
Old May 16, 2012, 03:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Maybe you should check out PoE (powerline adapters).

Powerline adaptors
Old May 16, 2012, 04:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

IT won't work because the modem converts the signals as they are transmitted differently then standard CAT (ethernet) protocols.
Old May 16, 2012, 04:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like you want 2 Internet connections in your home?

You'll have to use DSL if you want your own connection since you have Shaw activated on Cable (coax) already.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This device is designed to send an ethernet signal over Coaxial, presumably so that you can use otherwise unused coax to carry the signal maybe over longer distances since coax signals degrade less over distance.. You would basically need one of these at each end to make it work and a coax cable running between them. Shaw COAX--MODEM--ADAPTOR--Unused COAX--ADAPTOR--COMPUTER. You cannot just hook this to the Shaw signal and expect it to work. The modem is required to convert the Shaw DOCSIS physical layer protocol into an ethernet physical layer protocol and to handle DHCP etc.

I think for you, since you just want to avoid wiring...a powerline networkign kit would be ideal. Pretty much any of these NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories would do it. You plug them into a wall outlet and the modem at one end and a wall outlet and your computer at the other...signal goes through the electrical wiring....or go WIFI.

Razz
Old May 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Or, ideally, just run an ethernet cable to your room :P use the ducts!
Old May 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
Allstar

ARGH! SOB! I didn't know they have HNPA adapters and I already ordered a set of Actiontec MOCA from B&H in US. If they are like MOCA, you first connect wall coax to HPNA (in), HPNA (out) to modem, modem ethernet to router WAN, router LAN to HPNA ethernet. Then in your other room, wall coax to HPNA (in), HPNA ethernet to whatever PC, HPNA (out) to TV set top box. Don't bother with Powerline stuff, they are way too unstable. If you don't have the right type of fuse in the fuse box or your 2 POE are plug into 2 different power circuits, the performance will be very slow. I have a set from Belkan and they are worst than my wireless bridge setup.