Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Help? I am a networking moron :P

So I have a WRT54G Lniksys router. I followed all the steps and and got it working nicely with my desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless). I set a password, WPA2 encryption and was trying to do MAC address filtering when I screwed the whole thing up. I was following some internet guide on how to do this in XP. And I think I really did myself in when trying to set a different IP for my router in the router control panel.

Well since I screwed it all up I figured I better set my desktop back to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and start the whole process over again because I could not connect to the router or internet anymore.

Well I have been trying to redo this setup for an hour and I can never connect to the router when I get to that step in the setup router's wizard. To boot... I decided to call it a day and just hook my old linksys router back up but guess what... I can't connect to it either. Weirdest thing is though I can connect to the internet like I am now, through the router, but during the setup process I always get a "Cannot connect to router error". WTF did I do????

:help:

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 2, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Duh... On my old router you only hold the reset for 10 seconds. On the WRT54G it has to be 30 seconds, sadly I didn't know this till I read it. Yup moron... bring on the flames :P

But if anyone wants to help me setup mac address filtering I'd be really happy!!!!!!!!!!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

"Help? I am a networking moron"

Dude...aren't we all? LOL

I just ripped apart my entire home/wireless network because my internet wouldn't work! I called Rogers in the end mentioning that if my internet doesn't work ...it's the same as me not being able to breathe! LOL....apparently it was an issue in my computer and NOT in the cable modem! Dang! Now I have to set it up from scratch!

So I wouldn't be any good in helping you but I wish you all the luck in the world!
Old April 2, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Heh heh... thanks for the words or encouragement. I'm glad I am not the only one. Well now that it took me ALL NIGHT to setup a wired/wireless network, and still without MAC filtering *damn it* everything else I planned on doing is put off till tomorrow night :(

Sometimes computers suck

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE
Old April 3, 2008, 03:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure how the Linksys works, but if it's anything like my new D-Link it doesn't appear to do "wireless" mac filtering... it looks like it's both wired and wireless.....

With that in mind (I haven't done mine yet), ensuring that the first "allow" is the wired computer you're working from would seem to be critical. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 3, 2008, 06:44 AM
MVP
F@H

Trouble connecting to the router? Does that occur when you try to set it up and login to its firmware, or when you are trying to connect to it for wireless?

Is the subnet IP still the same? You said it you changed the IP address of the router, which may be the new address you need to use to connect to it to set it up

If you've reset it, I'm the manual says what the default IP is, but usually you can try something like 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1 - those are standard LAN subnet IPs for most routers that you can use to login to the firmware via browsers. As for wireless filtering, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you had the mac address of your wireless device.

Is this the guide you used? : Configuring the Linksys WRT54G Router

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 3, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey

Ok....I am not a networking moron anymore.After years of learning and actually building my own router , I've advanced to networking newb. .I'm one of the network admins for my clan.

I can help.

First things first.
Do not change the internal IP of your router unless you have a good reason to do so.It's just easier to leave it default.

Secondly ,

If you are going to use wpa2 encryption , you don't need mac address filtering.
Trust me on this.I can spoof my wifi mac addy to be the same as yours in about 15 seconds.

It's good to see you havn't considered WEP tho.This is crackable in no time as well.

It really depends what you want the wifi connection for , and what the local wifi environment is like......What I mean it this ;

If you want the wifi connection for gaming and or other non secure uses , and there are lots of 'open' wifi connections in your area , then you only need mac filtering really.....it's the fastest thru the router , and if there's lots of open wifi's around , anyone who wants to 'borrow' internet , will use someone elses connection , because it'll work where your's won't without effort.

If you need the connection for no gaming but more secure , then use wpa2 by all means.....but you don't need the mac filters if you do.

-----------

Lastly.......from what you described in your post , you have been setting a manual IP for your client machine , rather than letting DHCP handle this.

Better way to do this :

If the default IP subnet is 192.168.0.x , go into the router , find the dhcp setting and set a 'range' for public clients from say 192.168.0.2 (do not use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0) to 192.168.0.200.

Then , by using the mac addy of your client machine , set a static IP outside this range , say 192.168.0.205........

leave your machine on 'detect IP addy automatically'

Now when you connect to the network , the router will recognize the mac addy of your machine and assign it 192.168.0.205 .

------------

Old April 3, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Hey

Ok....I am not a networking moron anymore.After years of learning and actually building my own router , I've advanced to networking newb. .I'm one of the network admins for my clan.

I can help.

First things first.
Do not change the internal IP of your router unless you have a good reason to do so.It's just easier to leave it default.

Okee doke. I eventualy was able to reset it last night and currently it is at default.

Quote:
Secondly ,

If you are going to use wpa2 encryption , you don't need mac address filtering.
Trust me on this.I can spoof my wifi mac addy to be the same as yours in about 15 seconds.

It's good to see you havn't considered WEP tho.This is crackable in no time as well.
Ok so far so good. I am using WAP2 and no mac filtering as I was not able to get it to work last night.

Quote:
It really depends what you want the wifi connection for , and what the local wifi environment is like......What I mean it this ;

If you want the wifi connection for gaming and or other non secure uses , and there are lots of 'open' wifi connections in your area , then you only need mac filtering really.....it's the fastest thru the router , and if there's lots of open wifi's around , anyone who wants to 'borrow' internet , will use someone elses connection , because it'll work where your's won't without effort.

If you need the connection for no gaming but more secure , then use wpa2 by all means.....but you don't need the mac filters if you do.
No I won't be online gaming on the lappy/wifi connection. It's mostly just general use. There are lots of open connections around here. I was using them here and there for a month before I got this router - LOL.

-----------

Quote:
Lastly.......from what you described in your post , you have been setting a manual IP for your client machine , rather than letting DHCP handle this.

Better way to do this :

If the default IP subnet is 192.168.0.x , go into the router , find the dhcp setting and set a 'range' for public clients from say 192.168.0.2 (do not use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.0) to 192.168.0.200.

Then , by using the mac addy of your client machine , set a static IP outside this range , say 192.168.0.205........

leave your machine on 'detect IP addy automatically'

Now when you connect to the network , the router will recognize the mac addy of your machine and assign it 192.168.0.205 .

------------

I was trying to set a static IP for my client machine trying to eliminate the need for DHCP. However it was around this point and trying to change the IP of my router that I got into trouble. So now my machine(s) are back to DHCP and the router has a default IP. I will try and figure out what you described if I have a chance tonight.

Thanks a lot for your help!!! And thanks to everyone for their help too. HWC Rocks

Desktop:
See the drop down!

HEATWARE