Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Allstar

Default Recommend a coax to ethernet kit

I done some testing and it seem my Belkan ethernet over powerline is giving me crap speed. When I stream a video file from my server to wireless router it works fine. However, the same file to same router -> Belkan over powerline kit -> TP-Link AP, it lags. Hell, even without the TP-Link AP, my PC is getting a lot of high pings. I see some peeps here got good result with ethernet over coax and want to try it out myself. However, I worry that my cable modem will mess up the network.
Old April 24, 2012, 04:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That would be basically thinnet/thicknet back from some 30 years ago? I don't believe I've seen anyone recently use coax for their home network.

Can you list the models of your power line kit and your router? It could be that one of them is the culprit. Most people have fairly good success with powerline ethernet.

Also you should be able to stream HD-quality video over WiFi without issue either.
Old April 24, 2012, 07:03 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
That would be basically thinnet/thicknet back from some 30 years ago? I don't believe I've seen anyone recently use coax for their home network.

Can you list the models of your power line kit and your router? It could be that one of them is the culprit. Most people have fairly good success with powerline ethernet.

Also you should be able to stream HD-quality video over WiFi without issue either.
MOCA works fine for streaming high bandwidth media, as almost anyone with a Telus Optik install can attest. I disagree with your opinion on streaming HD over wireless, something to be avoided at all costs and used as a last resort only.

MOCA can be pricey, it might be worthwhile to try another powerline kit from another manufacturer.

FS: Gefen Ethernet Over Coax with 4 pont switch MOCA 200mbps - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Last edited by WhippWhapp; April 24, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Rookie

I initaly went wireless in my house, however finding speeds so slow (takes forever to copy a 10 GB file) i ran CAT5E through the cold air ducts.
didn't take any modification, so easy to remove later...
just an option.
can't help you with the ethernet over powerline
Old April 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i currently use a moca kit from netgear. I don't have very many issues with streaming video. However keep in mind that MOCA speeds are currently still way below gigabit ethernet so don't expect blazing fast file transfers. i get around 5-7MBPS

Old April 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
Allstar

I'm using a Linksys E3000 with Toastman firmware and the Belkin Powerline kit is a VideoLink 3. The network is the following:
Code:
			|---> my PC
			|
		----> Belkin ---> TP-LINK wireless AP  (2nd floor)
		|
		| (powerline)
		Belkin
		|
		|
Modem ---> E3000 <--- File Server (basement level)
So I tested a video file of varies bitrates (3000 to 5000+) from the file server with my Kindle Fire. If I access the 5000 bitrate copy from E3000 it plays fine and it buffers fine. However, if I access the same file (5000 bitrate) from the TP Link, it plays but it will pause and a lot to buffer. Even from my PC it jerks like crazy. But if I don't have to go over the Powerline, I can play the file from PC perfectly fine over the TP Link AP.

I checked out the MOCA website and the Netgear isn't listed anymore. Gefen seem a bit expensive compare to Actiontec. Anyone have experience with Actiontec? They appear to be a supplier to broadbands.