Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2012, 11:34 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Question Internet fast in - slow on network ? ? ?

I had the Centurylink phone tech out here (small business 1 server 9 workstations) and he says I am getting 10 MB download speed out of the modem but when I connect a workstation to the internet Speedtest.net says 1.5 MB. I have a Symantec VPN 100 firewall and a 24 port gigabyte switch in the mix and all the computer NICs are gigabyte rated. My suspicion is the firewall slowing things down but not sure how to prove it or how to fix it.

any networking experts with suggestions on how to proceed?
Old April 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
I had the Centurylink phone tech out here (small business 1 server 9 workstations) and he says I am getting 10 MB download speed out of the modem but when I connect a workstation to the internet Speedtest.net says 1.5 MB. I have a Symantec VPN 100 firewall and a 24 port gigabyte switch in the mix and all the computer NICs are gigabyte rated. My suspicion is the firewall slowing things down but not sure how to prove it or how to fix it.

any networking experts with suggestions on how to proceed?
From a website:
"One 10 Mbps WAN port "
Old April 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So you're saying your ISP speed is 10 Mbps and you're getting speeds on speedtest that says 1.5 Mb/s or 1.5MB/s? If it's the second one then that's accurate to a 10 Mbps ISP speed.

ISPs tell you speeds in megabits per second, some places will tell your download speed to be megabytes per second. Roughly divide the first by 8 to get megabytes per second.

If it's not a case of wording, try downloading a driver from nVidia, I've found that they typically can give you your max internet speed when downloading a driver from them (Verified for up to 75Mbps)
Old April 5, 2012, 05:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I brought in my laptop and plugged it directly into the modem and ran speedtest and got 10 Mbps so it seems like it is coming in correctly but when the modem is connected to the firewall and network the hard wired clients get 1.5 Mbps (CAT 5 & gigabyte NIC cards). I have wireless too and the laptop gets 1.5 Mbps via the wireless. Seems like it has to be the firewall that is slowing things down. Ideas on where to go from here? Possible firmware update on the firewall? New firewall? Suggestions?
Old April 5, 2012, 06:23 AM
Allstar

- change cable
- Does that firewall have QOS or any options for speed throttling? could they have been set?
- take a backup and reset to factory defaults and update firmware if there is anything newer and test from there.
- pull the firewall and put it on your switch and do a FTP or file transfer from your network to your laptop and see if you get 10Mbps
- go to the bar and grab a stiff drink