Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2012, 02:06 PM
MVP

Default Bridge 2 USB Wifi's together?

I stupidly purchased a Dlink Dual Band USB Stick to use on my new PC. It works great and all but recently I came across my older Dlink USB Stick. They are both "N" models but only one is dual band.

I had the idea to see if I can plug these both in and "bridge" them together for faster network speeds ( not faster Internet speeds )

How would I go about doing this in Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit?

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I.... have never heard of or seen anyone bond/bridge two wireless interfaces......
Old March 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
MVP

Just an idea. Thought it could be done.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old March 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The issue is it would actually have to be implemented at the access point (to assume both connections are one pipe rather than just giving your computer two different IP addresses). You'd have to hack your router first to allow such a thing.

I did try out connecting at 2 frequencies (dual band router and 5.6GHz connection + 2.4 GHz connection) - it just gave the PC two IP addresses and Windows would choose one of the two connections via a fixed priority.
Old March 25, 2012, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

802.11n already uses MIMO and channel bonding to achieve it's 150-450Mbps as part of the protocol/standard which is kind of what LACP (802.3ad) for Ethernet does to combine interfaces to get additional speed.

There's nothing you can do to make it any better, other than finding channels with minimal interference which is increasingly difficult these days since everyone has WiFi and cordless phones.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
MVP

Lets put it this way. My router is a Time Capsule 4th Generation.A transfer last night went at MAX 3.85 MB.

IMHO that is way too slow....especially since I am on a 5GHz signal...on the highest channel there is.....149

Old March 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's a bit slow, could be your adapter, distance, or interference. There's far too many factors involved really. Also I don't think it's the greatest router either.

With my Netgear WNDR3700, the maximum I've gotten out of 5GHz 300Mbps WiFi was about 10MB/s (80Mbps) which is still a far cry from 300Mbps.

And it should be noted 5GHz has far worse penetration through objects/walls/etc. It's really only effective when you have line of sight, otherwise 2.4GHz is probably better.