Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default gigabit ethernet on cat5e?

This weekend I picked up a trendnet gigabit switch and connected all my devices to it. The cabling is all cat5e and the longest run is 25ft. I have:

-a Dlink NAS connected with a 3' 5e patch cord to switch shows gigabit connection (green led) on switch great!
-1 computer with 6' 5e patch cord to switch sits at 100Mbit (orange LED on switch)
-2 other computers each with 25' of 5e sit at 100Mbit. (orange LED on switch)

All adapters are set to auto-negotiate the speed of the connection, but when I try to force gigabit in the adapter settings, the computers get no connection at all.

The possible issues that I can see would be:
The 5e cable isn't able to do gigabit (it's my understanding that it is capable, just not certifiable) or maybe a lame switch

So, at the moment I just rely on the color of led on the switch to indicate connection speed. Are there any software utilities to measure lan bandwidth? If it is 850Mbit or something close to gigabit then I guess there really isn't an issue.

In the meantime I have a patriot box office that I can plug in to the switch tonight with a short cable to see if the switch connects to it with a gigabit connection
Old March 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

it could be the grade of the cat5e cable. As in cat5e will do gigabit but not all cat5e cables can do gigabit. It could the the frequency that the cable is rated to is to low. Good cat5e cable should be rated at least at 350mhz. But some of the cheaper stuff could rated as low as 100mhz which could be causing issues. Also cat6 isn't really that much more expensive if your just looking for patch cables.

Old March 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It must be the cables. It isn't high quality 5e by any means. Iguess It might be time to pickup some cat6. I only would need maybe 100 feet to do everything anyways, so it wouldn't cost much.

Thanks
Old March 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
MVP

Are the cables bought or did you/someone else make them? I make my own cables and crossed a wire at the end (once). Would connect at 100 but not at 1gb. Took a bit to figure it out...

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!

Last edited by LionRed; March 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Are the cables bought or did you/someone else make them? I make my own cables and crossed a wire at the end and would connect at 100 but not at 1gb. Took a bit to figure it out...
The longer runs to the computers I did myself, wired a jack on each end to terminate the cable, then a patch cord to connect it to the device. I'm quite certain that I haven't crossed any pins, but I only wired the orange and green pairs as blue and brown are unused. Maybe thats an issue? -heck I'll just rewire, it won't take long.
Old March 19, 2012, 04:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I think you have to use all cables...

Old March 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup you need all the pairs if you want to do full duplex gigabit.
Old March 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well. I just rewired everything using all pairs and bingo, I have gigabit ethernet on all devices. Thanks for the help guys.