Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Internet slowing down randomly

Hey guys,

The last few days I've been getting horrendous lag in BF3 & when I go to check my ping I see it's spiked to 2,000+ (it's normally around 40-50)
Seems to happen completely randomly.
If I reset the router it goes back to normal for a while then starts spiking again within 15 minutes.

I've checked all the computers in the house to make sure nothing was running that would slow things down & there's nothing.

Funny thing is it just started happening when we bought a new laptop a few days ago, yet even when that laptop is off the spikes still happen.

This PC is connected directly to the router then there are two laptops connected via wireless.

Are there any applications I can download to find out what's sucking up all the bandwidth?

*EDIT*
I guess I should mention that I've run virus & malware scans just in case but they came up clean.

Last edited by GregH; March 17, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:27 PM
Allstar

1) when it happens immediately run a traceroute looking for a lagging node
2) Check the router logs if it generates any.
3) Turn off the wireless and see if the problem goes away
4) If still there after 3, connect pc directly to modem and see if problem goes away
5) If still there after 4, check TaskManager or Grab a copy of Process Explorer and see what's running and using what resources

If everything on your end still looks ok after 5 then contact your ISP and see if they're throttling your connection.
Old March 18, 2012, 04:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you checked to see that no one has cracked your wireless password? To do this go to your router and see what computers it has listed that it's given an IP Address to and make sure the name lines up to the names of the computers you have. If there is an unknown, I'd recommend changing your password and make it so your wireless locks in the macs of the devices wireless connected so that no one can steal your net/bandwidth.
Old March 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My issue might be different than your,my connection would completely drop for a second -5 minutes daily,usually just long enough to DC from a game.My ISP only uses the 1 modem type and I narrowed it down to cheap chips that get hot and DC.to fix this I strapped a couple of 90mm case fans to the modem and now the DC happens very rarely.Yes have exchanged the modem 4 times and same thing happened
Old March 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's been better the last couple of days, but Shaw is coming out tomorrow to look at it anyway