Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Network streaming issues

So i recently got a WDTV Live to stream downloaded content from my main PC (wired to router) to the TV in my bedroom. I noticed issues streaming 720p+ over wifi and as I was previously using a G router so I decided to upgrade to an N router shortly after. I got an ASUS RT-N16 and installed TomatoUSB on it. Ever since upgrading the router I now also have issues streaming through a wired connection to my xbox or ps3 in my living room (the videos have frequent, every ~5 minutes or so, stutters that last 4-5 seconds). I've also noticed the wireless strength is worse than it was with G and I'm having even more problems streaming wirelessly to the WDTV Live.

Anyone know what I can do to try to fix this? Is there an easy way to figure out where the bottleneck is? Are there some optimal settings for the RT-N16 that might help?

I'm very frustrated that I spent all that money and time putting something together that now works worse than before.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Running speedtest.net on my PC I get slightly under 50Mbps, and from my laptop in my bedroom (approximately 15-20 feet from the router) I get 6-10Mbps. When I move my laptop to ~3 feet from the router I get about 16Mbps. Seems like that is definitely part of the issue but doesn't explain the wired streaming problem.

Last edited by Evylldemon; February 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM.