Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't really do a conduit outside the house, then you're increasing your chances of various forms of interference from the weather (namely lightning) but also just weathering in general. Extreme cold and hot temperatures will likely deform the cables overtime.

If the RG6 (coax) isn't stapled down anywhere within the walls, it should be fairly easy to tie some un-crimped CAT6 to one end and pull through the other.

Technically you could put a switch on each floor to reduce cable lengths and just run like 2 gigabit trunks back down to the main switch in the basement using LAG/LACP. Obviously you'll need managed switches though. It's easy enough to drill through interior walls without insulation with minimal damage to your drywall. Not sure what the floor plan is like, but maybe you could do it through closets?
Old February 28, 2012, 07:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Hi Guys,

My new house closing is approaching very quickly, and I have a couple questions about wiring it up.
I'm wondering approximately how much people charge for the installation each drop?
It is a new build, however I bought it after all of the walls/etc went up so I did not get the option of adding a conduit or running cables.

I'd like to run CAT6 with at least 2 drops to every room. There is a nice section in the basement beside the furnace/hwt that I have planned for my servers/networking equipment/etc. The planned office is directly above (on the 2nd storey) the area in the basement.

In my opinion the easiest method would be to run an outdoor conduit vertically, then running horizontal conduits to get to the family room & possibly the MBR and an additional bed room. Alternatively, the conduit could run straight up into the attic where it could then drop down inside walls for each of the bed rooms, but I'm not sure how it would be able to drop down to the same level as an electrical outlet.

Has anyone done something like this in the past? Any issues with vapor barriers when drilling through the wall to get to the outside? Rogers did this to my parent's house to install a cable line and there were no issues there.

FYI the house is wired up for cable TV in basically every room, but the outside walls are all insulated and I would imagine it would be very difficult to pull CAT6 to replace the coaxial cable.

Thanks!
Yea, i've done it, it's quite a task, i ran from my "network closet" in a corner of my basement near the electrical panel (keeping a foot and a half distance) and went up a air return duct to the attic for the second floor and just ran the rest through my unfinished basement to the ground floor drops. JUST MAKE SURE TO WIRE TO T-568B STANDARD!!! T-568A IS NOT FOR CAT6.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

if you going to run between floors, makes sure you get riser grade wire.. it's rated for that purpose..

i did the managed switch thing on each floor.. it works ok for a while, then i ended up getting a cisco 24 port switch and tie the whole house together in the basement instead..

-joe
Old February 29, 2012, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal920c View Post
Yea, i've done it, it's quite a task, i ran from my "network closet" in a corner of my basement near the electrical panel (keeping a foot and a half distance) and went up a air return duct to the attic for the second floor and just ran the rest through my unfinished basement to the ground floor drops. JUST MAKE SURE TO WIRE TO T-568B STANDARD!!! T-568A IS NOT FOR CAT6.
near any metal should use shielded twisted pairs a stp cat6 cable about $300 for 1000ft

T-568B Standards
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; February 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM.