Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm given that wired and some devices work I'd direct my troubleshooting at the affected PCs. Check that the IP configuration is sane on both the router and affected PCs.

E.g. running ipconfig on Windows or ifconfig on Linux should give:
Code:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : <should match the PCs where Internet works>
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : <don't worry about this one>
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : <same IP as in the Router's DHCP page>
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : <should match the PCs where Internet works>
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : <router's IP>
Also reboot (or power cycle) the router, modem, and affected PCs for good measure. If something's still wrong, make sure you don't have any overzealous access control (e.g. parental control or other), and that the computers don't have messed up network adaptor or custom DNS settings, VPN client / Hamachi, or virtual network adaptor messing with how the Internet connection is detected.
Edit: A good way to test this is to take one of the USB adaptors from a PC that "doesn't work" and test whether it can get a connection in one of your laptops that "does work". Preferably do this with the laptop in the same room as the "doesn't work" computer in case interference plays a role.

Try copy-pasting a giant video (several gigabytes) to one of the affected PCs and see if the USB wireless adaptor or drivers chokes. As an example I had an old D-LINK USB adaptor which would trigger a BSOD after about 3-4 GB of transfer.

Last edited by frontier204; February 24, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would uninstall the software then delete the usb wireless from the device manager then reboot or even better yet shut down the pc for a while fire it back up and see if it tries to connect. to me it sounds like a driver issue but if you can connect to anything inside your home group or your network that is not public then it is possible windows 7 blocking the usb wireless . I am only guessing at all of this but that is what I would do and if iut doesn't seem to be your pcs problem then check the router
Old February 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks all very good tips will try tonight when i close the shop thanks all
Old February 25, 2012, 12:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Power Cycle Modem

Reboot PC's having connection problems (using Windows 7 ? What if any Homegroup/Workgroup definitions have you set up?.....could be you headache right there..)

Dlink default configs can be annoying, as other members have suggested, optimize your access point for maximum compatibility.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well all pc's are running windows 7 adn i have tried everyone suggestions but still nothing it working no laptop is able to connect through wireless which is really pissing me off all the cells and ipods connect just fine i have tried all different types of settings fro the wireless on the router and on the laptops weird thing is i was able to get my brand new laptop to connect just fine the other day did nothing special just signed in with the network access key but now it wont connect the same way so i am not happy but i still need to buy another router that i am going to hook into this one and hopefully it's wireless works just need to save the coin ( member here offered me a great router once i can manage to save the coin )
Old February 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok this is going to drive me nuts cause i can now get my laptop to connect but the nettop sitting right next to the laptop wont and they have the same setting and all ahahagahgahgahgahgahga
Old February 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
Top Prospect

I would check the TCP/IP settings on each pc and ensure they do not have any manual entries for DNS or Gateway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
Well it's simple my wireless works on the kids ipods and my iphone but when ever i try to connect a pc it says it can't connect to the internet.
Old February 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup have done and teh 2 pc's that it still doesn't work on say there no gateway available strange cause i have fixed it all other pc's why these 2 still refuse to work i can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts lol
Old February 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What's the total number of attached devices? Perhaps the DHCP pool has run out?
Old February 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nope thought of that to it says it can handle upto 64 devices and i have 4 on lan and 4 on wireless that work and 3 that refuse to connect