Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2012, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
So you're happy paying this price for that low speed and cap ?
I prefer this speed to the 5MBps I had this morning. Sure the cap is *low* compared to the unlimited I had, but it may go up in some times, they have to test the waters to see what they can give their customers without ruining themselves ( - they've been offering it for 8 days with the new price scheme) and the price...well, everything is better than what any other provider offers.

That's the best I can get right now, sure I'd like to get those 100MBps / unlimited lines for $25 or less, but that just won't happen before long in Canada...

60/3 250GB $54.95
or
5/0.8 -unlimited- $56.59

Meh...

Last edited by Lamb; February 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:20 AM
MVP

It should be noted that it's much easier and less expensive to deploy, upgrade and maintain network infrastructure in extreme high density metropolises such as Tokyo and Seoul than in the low density cities and sprawling suburbs of Canada.

It also costs much more to network Canadian and US cities than southeast asian cities which are much closer together.

I believe I had 160mb cable in Tokyo for around $60 a couple of years ago. It was pretty amazing but also completely superfluous.

But for the record, I do believe that corporations like Bell and Rogers are engaged in collusion to artificially inflate pricing and limit competition.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

*sigh* so there are no smaller ISPs trying to compete? i thought they'd pop up to provide alternatives, isnt that how a market is supposed to work?:(

I'd love to go back to Tokyo & Seoul, but all my family is here in Toronto, and im in my late twenties so if i want to start a career in Toront/Canada nows the time to do it.:p Tokyo is just an incredible city, 33million ppl packed in an area the size of Toronto!:0 Its surreal & so futuristic over there! i already miss it.:(

I guess if u guys got used to it, i will as well... the only big downloads i do are games off of Steam during their massive sales. I have 350gb of games from them, and in Tokyo i always just left unused games on the Steam servers knowing i can download them anytime. I guess i should've just bought a massive 1tb hdd and downloaded everything so i never have to worry about download caps.:p i dont buy steam games EVERY month, but i guess then they have their summer & Winter sales i'll just hafta be really picky.:p
2500k @ 4.4ghz @ 1.35v on Noctua NH-D14, 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9-9-9-24, Gigabyte Z68 UD4 B3, Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce , 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition & 2TB WD Black, Auzentech Forte 7.1, Corsair HX520wt psu, Corsair 300R, Win7 64
Old February 8, 2012, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
*sigh* so there are no smaller ISPs trying to compete? i thought they'd pop up to provide alternatives, isnt that how a market is supposed to work?:(

I'd love to go back to Tokyo & Seoul, but all my family is here in Toronto, and im in my late twenties so if i want to start a career in Toront/Canada nows the time to do it.:p Tokyo is just an incredible city, 33million ppl packed in an area the size of Toronto!:0 Its surreal & so futuristic over there! i already miss it.:(

I guess if u guys got used to it, i will as well... the only big downloads i do are games off of Steam during their massive sales. I have 350gb of games from them, and in Tokyo i always just left unused games on the Steam servers knowing i can download them anytime. I guess i should've just bought a massive 1tb hdd and downloaded everything so i never have to worry about download caps.:p i dont buy steam games EVERY month, but i guess then they have their summer & Winter sales i'll just hafta be really picky.:p
Check my previous post in this thread. I would not suggest going with Teksavvy though.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yea the internet caps are ridiculous for the prices you have to pay I can understand lower speeds and why they couldn't offer faster speed for the same price but really I don't understand why we have caps at all. But what can you do? If you need the internet you need the internet and Bell/Rogers pretty much own that area of service(at least in Ontario). It's like gas it gets expensive but if you need to buy it to get to work and make a living what else are you going to do?

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.