Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 12:43 AM
MVP

Default wireless printer trying to make it work on two PCs

i got a wireless printer. i got a desktop and a laptop.

someone install it to the laptoptop. now i want the printer to work for the desktop too as the printer is wireless.

i tried to print something but the printer list didnt show the wireless printer. i let it search for the printer but it cannot find. i went to the laptop and check network and it says sharing but why it didnt work on my desktop?

the wireless printer does not show on my desktop. i even have printer sharing turned on on my laptop. do i have to make my desktop enable for file sharing and printer sharing too? i dont want my desktop to be share in any other way. do i must file share and printer share on my desktop too to make the wireless printer work on my desktop? so far it only work on the laptop.

edit: DO I HAVE TO UNPLUG AND REPLUG MY ROUTER FOR IT TO WORK?

Last edited by hohohee; February 7, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is the printer connected to your network?
Old February 7, 2012, 01:23 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Is the printer connected to your network?
umm not sure but it is connected to the laptop wirelessly and works fine. i tried to connect to the printer with my desktop but the printer wont show up on ym desktop.

while at it im thinking to swap printer. the one right now is Find this HP all-in-one inkjet printer at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better. and the one im thinking to swap with is this which is way cheaper! Canon PIXMA All-in-One Printer MP 495 with Full HD Movie, Print and Mobile Printing - Walmart.com

so i need to help telling which prints faster for color? the current one is hp which says 4ppm for color but the second one aka canon says 5 ipm. it doesnt use the same term. so i dont know which is faster for color.

i also need help for the original question on how to connect to the printer. and just in case i do swap and got the canon..... say first thing i do when open it up..... what i do to be able to connect the wireless printer to a laptop and desktop? i will make the laptop as primary for the printer and the desktop secondary. what do i need to do step by step?
Old February 7, 2012, 01:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So as I understand it you have the printer wirelessly connected to your laptop and not your router? You should have it connected wirelessly to your router then you should be able to connect to it with both computers. Also have you made sure the drivers for the printer are installed on the desktop?

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old February 7, 2012, 02:58 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
So as I understand it you have the printer wirelessly connected to your laptop and not your router? You should have it connected wirelessly to your router then you should be able to connect to it with both computers. Also have you made sure the drivers for the printer are installed on the desktop?
printer wirelessly connected to the router and printer wirelessly connected to the laptop is two different thing? in that cas ethen i dont know. i test printing something from the laptop and it use the wireless printer. it prints fine. im not sure if it is connected to the router. how do i connect the printer to the router?

im not even sure if the driver cd is installed. i did not set it up at first. it was someone else. anyway do you know which is faster in color printing? the canon or the hp?
Old February 7, 2012, 05:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Have you taken a look at the printer's manual? With my Canon wireless printer, I had to run a scan utility to have the printer driver 'recognize' the wireless printer.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 7, 2012, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

Let's assume that you have Windows 7 or Vista installed on both laptop and desktop. Let's also assume that the printer is correctly connected to network and that the router has assigned an IP address to the printer. To check for IP address I suggest you look on the printer display to pull up settings. If not you can go in to the router and find the IP address' if assigned. Once you have IP address, do this on both laptop and computer:
Go to start > devices and printers > add a printer > add local printer > Create a new port > Standard TCp/IP Port > Next > Type in IP address of printer, leave port name blank > Next > computer will look for printer at IP address and use Win 7 drivers and you will be done. Print test page.....
Old February 7, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

no you actually do none of that with a wireless printer.

You connect the wireless printer to the router. like connecting any old computer to the router. then you install the drivers on each computer. if you want to use wireless printing (or scanning, whatever. this is the benefit of installing via the driver program), there will be an option to install drivers based on that preference. the driver installer scans your wireless (or wired, for that matter) network, finds the printer (which has it's own IP address by now) and installs and configures accordingly.
Old February 7, 2012, 05:38 PM
MVP

lark mention about the the disc driver. i totally forgot about that. i will try the disc driver first before trying other stuff. but i cant find the disc driver as someone put it somewhere else and not here. while i wait for the driver cd does anyone know which is faster in printing color?

this cnanon Canon PIXMA All-in-One Printer MP 495 with Full HD Movie, Print and Mobile Printing - Walmart.com

or this hp Find this HP all-in-one inkjet printer at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

i cant tell which is faster because it use different term. ppm and ipm.
Old February 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The cannon should be faster because ppm and ipm is the same unless doing something like duplex printing. Google ppm vs ipm and you'll get quite a few sites that explain it. Also I did mention before if you had drivers for the desktop or not. If you don't have the cd you can go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers directly from there.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.