Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2012, 08:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default [Solve]Can't get homegroup to work

I have 2 computers running windows 7, my desktop which is wired up to my router, and my laptop which is using wifi. I have created a homegroup on my desktop and I want to join it on my laptop but it's asking me to create a homegroup on my laptop. I read on some other forums that the clocks have to be synced and they are but I can't seem to figure out the problem.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by bvsbutthd101; February 3, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

What are you trying to achieve? Have access to files in between both computers?
Old February 2, 2012, 09:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
What are you trying to achieve? Have access to files in between both computers?
yes, My desktop is running the OS on my SSD but all my movies, music, and pics are on my HDD. My laptop is running the OS on the HDD with movies and such. I just want to transfer data between the two.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

which computer created the home group ? sometimes you just have to leave the home group and re create it get the pass word and then even log out and back in again with the PC that is going to join the home group if you cannot see the Join home group sometimes you need to turn on wirless on both PC's ( if either one is using wireless).
here is a link HomeGroup from start to finish - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows
Old February 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Created the homegroup on my desktop. I've tried multiple things, leaving the homegroup, restarting both computers. Tried to create the homegroup on my laptop. I know there's only suppose to be one homegroup on a network but it's letting me create 2.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For basic drive/file sharing I think the simplest solution is to forget about homegroup and just disable password protected sharing then share whatever drives you want. Also make sure network detection is enabled in advanced sharing settings. Now u will be able to got to network and the shared drive will show up.
Old February 2, 2012, 09:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
For basic drive/file sharing I think the simplest solution is to forget about homegroup and just disable password protected sharing then share whatever drives you want. Also make sure network detection is enabled in advanced sharing settings. Now u will be able to got to network and the shared drive will show up.
I have network discovery turn on and password protection is turned off. I've tried right clicking my HDD on my laptop and desktop and going under "share with"> advance sharing. If they're both being shared where would they show up under?
Old February 2, 2012, 05:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

still can't find this out. My laptop won't show up on my desktop and Vis versa. Been restarting and logging off and it still says on my laptop to create the homegroup even though I have created on my desktop. Tried leaving the homegroup on my desktop and creating one on the my laptop. Tried hooking my laptop a Ethernet cable, still no go. This is so frustrating.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Create HG on one, join it on other. Share folders. ???. Profit.

But seriously, have you checked if the computers are in the same workgroup as well? Setting this up should be a 30 second job, so something is definitely a foot.
Old February 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Create HG on one, join it on other. Share folders. ???. Profit.

But seriously, have you checked if the computers are in the same workgroup as well? Setting this up should be a 30 second job, so something is definitely a foot.
yeah just checked, Under Computer Name/Domain Changes. Both computer have Workgroup selected and both have the same name inputed in the text box.