Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Windows 7 Sharing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/51095-windows-7-sharing.html)

great_big_abyss January 30, 2012 11:53 AM

Windows 7 Sharing

Okay, so two things that I want to do:

1) I have two computers at home. One is my main gaming rig, and the other is a media machine. My main gaming rig has most of my storage and contains all of my media files. It stays on 24/7 (as it is also a folding machine). Both machines are networked through LAN, but currently do not communicate to each other.

I would like to play media on my media rig without actually duplicating the file and transferring it from one machine to the other. How can I do this?

2) Same as above, but now the media computer will be in a different house across town.

enaberif January 30, 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 596357)
Okay, so two things that I want to do:

1) I have two computers at home. One is my main gaming rig, and the other is a media machine. My main gaming rig has most of my storage and contains all of my media files. It stays on 24/7 (as it is also a folding machine). Both machines are networked through LAN, but currently do not communicate to each other.

I would like to play media on my media rig without actually duplicating the file and transferring it from one machine to the other. How can I do this?

2) Same as above, but now the media computer will be in a different house across town.

Enable fire sharing on both systems.
make sure both systems share the same workgroup
then just share folders.

great_big_abyss January 30, 2012 11:57 AM

It's that easy? I'm assuming that's for 1). What about 2) Wouldn't I need some sort of remote access?

enaberif January 30, 2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 596360)
It's that easy? I'm assuming that's for 1). What about 2) Wouldn't I need some sort of remote access?

Its seriously that easy. As long as you are all on the same ip setup and workgroup sharing is that simple.

Google how to simple file share and you'll see.

great_big_abyss January 30, 2012 12:08 PM

Okay thanks, I'll give it a try.

lcdguy January 30, 2012 01:54 PM

what was said should work as long as both machines are windows 7 if your trying to share between windows 7 and xp you will need to make some changes in the network and sharing center.

enaberif January 30, 2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcdguy (Post 596406)
what was said should work as long as both machines are windows 7 if your trying to share between windows 7 and xp you will need to make some changes in the network and sharing center.

Only change you need to make is tell Windows 7 to not use password sharing

great_big_abyss January 30, 2012 02:43 PM

They're both Win7 machines.

Taichan January 30, 2012 03:30 PM

If it works and both machines are Windows 7 (assuming at least one is Win7 Home premium or higher.)

great_big_abyss January 30, 2012 03:48 PM

They're both 64bit Win7 Home premium.