Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2012, 11:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Should have gotten my trendnet powerline today too but the courier took too long to arrive and I had to go to work. Now i gotta go to the depot to get it. The house I'm living right now is only like 10 years old so heres to hoping that the trendnet is faster than the WD Livewire. In all honesty, the Livewire can play all my videos properly as long as their bitrate is below 10-15Mbps.

Old February 3, 2012, 12:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Ok, so I got my Trend-Net TPL-401E2K today, man I like fast shipping.

Ok so the situation is I have it plugged into my router in the basement and into a plug that also has a power bar plugged into it. Then on the other end is my sons room up on the second floor and it is also plugged into a plug with a power bar plugged into it. Now this is a 30 or so year old town home with rather crappy wiring. Now onto the testing and results.

So to test I did a copy from my sons machine to my server in the basement. This was done using Fastcopy and what I copied was a single folder with 11 files running from 100MB up to 1.7GB for a total of 6808.8MB. This entire copy was done in 427.93 seconds at an average rate of 15.91MB/s (127.28Mbps)

Now for some other tests I used a small little tool called LAN Speed test. I used the free version 1.1.7. Now with this tool it will create a file of whatever size you specify and then write it to the location you want and then read it back and give you the speeds on each. I ran it 3 times specifying 20MB, 200MB, then 2000MB as the file size to create. The results are as follows:

20MB: Write 89.4Mbps Read 72.135Mbps
200MB: Write 124.88Mbps Read 73.75Mbps
2000MB: Write 128.03Mbps Read 68.45Mbps

So there we go. Is it 500Mbps, hell no, but I wasn't expecting it either. Really this sure as hell beats the wireless. All in all I am quite pleased and I would say this is most likely the worst it would be in my place. I am quite pleased and I do very much recommend these for people that need the speed or can't get a good wifi signal.
I'm glad your happy with it, did you upgrade the firmware? If not, do so as it will improve your results.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I understand why you have it plugged into the powerbars at each end, but I wonder if those slow down your speeds at all - or even if the difference is even significant. Either way its something I am going to look into for myself.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 3, 2012, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quicken View Post
I'm glad your happy with it, did you upgrade the firmware? If not, do so as it will improve your results.
I have not done the firmware. Actually haven't even looked at what they have on them yet. I will have to look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
I understand why you have it plugged into the powerbars at each end, but I wonder if those slow down your speeds at all - or even if the difference is even significant. Either way its something I am going to look into for myself.
I don't have them into the power bars themselves, just into the same outlet as the power bars are plugged into. No choice for me. But yes from what I have read I would be getting better speeds if they could be by themselves in the outlet.

Old February 4, 2012, 10:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I have not done the firmware. Actually haven't even looked at what they have on them yet. I will have to look into this.

I don't have them into the power bars themselves, just into the same outlet as the power bars are plugged into. No choice for me. But yes from what I have read I would be getting better speeds if they could be by themselves in the outlet.
Where did you read that? I'm only aware of not being plugged INTO a powerbar...
Old February 4, 2012, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I went out to buy a pair since it was on sale. Plug them in, and run the utility. It is mostly 140 mbps. But, when I copied a file (about 300 MB) from desktop to laptop, it reported about 5 MB/s which is about 40 mbps. Desktop is connected to one powerline unit. Laptop is connected to one of the 4 gigbyte socket in the router. My original wireless N has a connection of 130mb/s, and the transfer rate of the same file is about 3.5 MB/s or 28 mbps.

I also timed the actual transfer time and the speed is about the same as reported by the windows copy software.

Can someone explain if this is ok and working properly, and also why there is such a wide discrepancy between the connection speed reported by the network software vs the speed reported by the copy utility.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the speed reported by their little config tool is way exaggerated. I didn't even use the utility at first and only installed it to update the firmware. The utility shows the machine being connected at 288Mbps, where through my testing I can tell you that is not the real world case. When it comes to file transfers I am getting around 130Mbps.

Oh and upgrading the firmware on mine really didn't seem to make much of a difference, at least what I could tell.

Quote:
Where did you read that? I'm only aware of not being plugged INTO a powerbar...
Bit sure, I know I read it somewhere when reading reviews on all shots of powerline products. The idea is because the less possible interference the better and having something right in the same plug is a good way to introduce interference right off the start.

Old February 5, 2012, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

I actually use dlink's wireless->ethernet bridge after having so many issues with the power line adapters.. also I was afraid of any interference with my audio equipment and security issues?

-joe
Old February 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I went out to buy a pair since it was on sale. Plug them in, and run the utility. It is mostly 140 mbps. But, when I copied a file (about 300 MB) from desktop to laptop, it reported about 5 MB/s which is about 40 mbps. Desktop is connected to one powerline unit. Laptop is connected to one of the 4 gigbyte socket in the router. My original wireless N has a connection of 130mb/s, and the transfer rate of the same file is about 3.5 MB/s or 28 mbps.

I also timed the actual transfer time and the speed is about the same as reported by the windows copy software.

Can someone explain if this is ok and working properly, and also why there is such a wide discrepancy between the connection speed reported by the network software vs the speed reported by the copy utility.
(IMO) I'm thinking the possible Data speed between the adapters shown on the the utility is correct, but what your not factoring in is the Read/Write/Tansfer capabilities of the HDD's & BUSes involved.
Old February 5, 2012, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
(IMO) I'm thinking the possible Data speed between the adapters shown on the the utility is correct, but what your not factoring in is the Read/Write/Tansfer capabilities of the HDD's & BUSes involved.

I wouldn't say that as the utility shows 288Mbps for me and that is only 36MB/s well within what my drives and buses are capable of. With my desktop that is hardwired into my network I get usually around 700-800Mbps or about 90-100MB/s.

Either way this powerline sure is much faster than I can get with the wifi there so it is worth it.