Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm, tough choice now. Do I get the slower 200Mbps one or the 500Mbps one you have there?

It doesn't need to be blistering fast, but that is always nice when transferring files. Hmmm and sale ends today, I guess I better hurry on it. About $60 to get the 200Mbps one to me and about $90 to get the 500Mbps one.

Old February 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Tried out the 1 set of WD Livewire I don't know if its the connection or whatnot but right now im getting 84Mbps. . seems pretty low. I attached it to a plug next room and I get about 164Mbps. If it doesn't improve, I might get the Trendnet one.

Last edited by Gregole; February 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i found these while they don't have any at 500mb the price seems decent for 200mb

For only $71.96 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Ethernet over Power Adapter (Pair) - 200Mbps | Ethernet Over Power Adapter

Old February 1, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, just ordered the Trend Net 500Mbps ones for $94 after taxes and shipping. I will let you know how it works out for me once I get them.

Old February 1, 2012, 12:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I was weird though, room across from me get about 164Mbps, plug on the hallway just outside my room i get 68 which is same on all the other plugs in the house. If you can, can you try out the speed between 2 seperate floors?

Edit. .
Tested it out again with a 1080p BluRay Rip @ 39Mbps. It was lagging like there no tomorrow. I'm thinking that I may be my house' electrical wiring

Last edited by Gregole; February 1, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mine will be going from basement up to second floor in a townhouse with crappy wiring. So we will see. I'm guessing I will get it done over the weekend if they get here in time. Then again daughters birthday party and sleep over with a bunch of 12 year old girls is happening so I might just run and hide instead of testing it.

Old February 1, 2012, 11:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Tested each plug in my room:

1. 74Mbps
2. 68Mbps
3. 107Mbps
4. 64Mbps

Tested the plug on the hallway just outside my door and I get 158Mbps and then tested a 1080p video running at bitrate of 39Mbps. It appears that LiveWire isn't enough to play those blu ray rips with high bitrates. I have some Blu Ray rips that are encoded below 10Mbps and they work pretty well. Also got the Trendnet one and will be testing it tomorrow when i receive it. I just hope it makes a difference.

Old February 2, 2012, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are those speeds that Windows is reporting or from you actually sending something over the network? (they look fast enough for what I'd do with powerline if I got fed up enough with wireless anyway - thanks for posting them)

You should try sending a already compressed file (a BD rip should be fine) over the network and see what the speed is. An FTP transfer gets the closest to your actual connection speed after my little bit of testing on WiFi, but copy-pasting between Windows Vista / 7 shares should still give you a decent idea of what your actual speeds are.
Old February 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I tried sending the 6-7 gb blu ray rip through the network. It was going like 6MB/s with about 15 minutes eta. Don't know if thats good or not though.

Old February 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so I got my Trend-Net TPL-401E2K today, man I like fast shipping.

Ok so the situation is I have it plugged into my router in the basement and into a plug that also has a power bar plugged into it. Then on the other end is my sons room up on the second floor and it is also plugged into a plug with a power bar plugged into it. Now this is a 30 or so year old town home with rather crappy wiring. Now onto the testing and results.

So to test I did a copy from my sons machine to my server in the basement. This was done using Fastcopy and what I copied was a single folder with 11 files running from 100MB up to 1.7GB for a total of 6808.8MB. This entire copy was done in 427.93 seconds at an average rate of 15.91MB/s (127.28Mbps)

Now for some other tests I used a small little tool called LAN Speed test. I used the free version 1.1.7. Now with this tool it will create a file of whatever size you specify and then write it to the location you want and then read it back and give you the speeds on each. I ran it 3 times specifying 20MB, 200MB, then 2000MB as the file size to create. The results are as follows:

20MB: Write 89.4Mbps Read 72.135Mbps
200MB: Write 124.88Mbps Read 73.75Mbps
2000MB: Write 128.03Mbps Read 68.45Mbps

So there we go. Is it 500Mbps, hell no, but I wasn't expecting it either. Really this sure as hell beats the wireless. All in all I am quite pleased and I would say this is most likely the worst it would be in my place. I am quite pleased and I do very much recommend these for people that need the speed or can't get a good wifi signal.