Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 11:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

1. Is it ok to use a network switch for use on powerline or should I get an integrated ones?
2. Is it possible to sync more than 2 adapters?
3. I'm kinda leaning on the Western Digital WD Livewire because of the additional ports, question is are they good or should I stick with the Trendnet TPL-401 and get some network switches instead?

Last edited by Gregole; January 31, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregole View Post
1. Is it ok to use a network switch for use on powerline or should I get an integrated ones?
2. Is it possible to sync more than 2 adapters?
3. I'm kinda leaning on the Western Digital WD Livewire because of the additional ports, question is are they good or should I stick with the Trendnet TPL-401 and get some network switches instead?
So long as it's compatible I don' see why not TRENDnet | Products | PoE Switches | TPE-T80
I haven't connected a switch to my network yet so I can't really speak to it.

Axis Communications - Power over Ethernet

sync/connect up to 16 adapters.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:45 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Feels like its cheaper to get the Western Digital Livewire as it already have more ports. I was thinking of getting 2 WD Livewire kit: Adapter 1 (cable modem, Desktop Comp, Dlink Router for its wifi), Adapter 2 (Set-Top Box, HTPC 1), Adapter 3 (HTPC 2, PS3, Wii), Adapter 4 (Homestay Student use probably).

Would this setup work?

Edit. Crap... after seeing some complaints from Livewire users about stuttering 1080p video, kinda having seconds thoughts. I think I'll wait abit to see if anything new comes up. Dont really mind paying alot as long as it has speed and reliability.

Last edited by Gregole; January 31, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregole View Post
Feels like its cheaper to get the Western Digital Livewire as it already have more ports. I was thinking of getting 2 WD Livewire kit: Adapter 1 (cable modem, Desktop Comp, Dlink Router for its wifi), Adapter 2 (Set-Top Box, HTPC 1), Adapter 3 (HTPC 2, PS3, Wii), Adapter 4 (Homestay Student use probably).

Would this setup work?

Edit. Crap... after seeing some complaints from Livewire users about stuttering 1080p video, kinda having seconds thoughts. I think I'll wait abit to see if anything new comes up. Dont really mind paying alot as long as it has speed and reliability.
I have a lot of respect for WD, and I just checked out the live wire-- seems like a good thing to me. As per the 'stuttering' I suspect that might be other issues. I get it sometimes with my 500mbs Trendnets, but only on 7GB+ Files (MKV movies). But on MKV files that were 2GB or less I never see any problems.
Just Finished watching SOA, each episode was about 1.5 GB and not a glitch though all 4 seasons.

I'm still trying to figure this one out.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Although I have a couple of 7GB+ videos, the problem is that all my computer uses SVP so all 1080p video run at 60fps instead of the normal 24fps. I don't know if that may impact the performance.

Last edited by Gregole; January 31, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

not sure if you have already ordered the powerline stuff. But i was looking at this stuff in the fall but decided to go with something else and it's worked fine for me so far.

MCAB1001

haven't had any speed issues. it's nice as it uses your houses existing coax cable. But won't work if you have satellite tv (digital cable is fine though)

Old January 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since people are asking about powerline, can I ask people that have one, can you use a plug in for both the adapter and as a regular plugin?

I ask because I am trying to get network into my son's room and it is on the second level while my wireless router is in the basement. I picked up a usb wireless adapter, D-Link DWA-160, and even though it is wireless N I can't get it to connect any better than 11Mb, not good. Because of this I am considering maybe going with powerline, but I only have one plugin at that location and currently have a power bar plugged into it to connect his machine, monitor and speakers. So I would either have to plug it into the one open spot on the wall or into the powerbar (which I have heard is not good).

So is it even possible to do this? Or do I have to get a wireless PCI card and hope I get a better signal.

Old February 1, 2012, 12:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Since people are asking about powerline, can I ask people that have one, can you use a plug in for both the adapter and as a regular plugin?

I ask because I am trying to get network into my son's room and it is on the second level while my wireless router is in the basement. I picked up a usb wireless adapter, D-Link DWA-160, and even though it is wireless N I can't get it to connect any better than 11Mb, not good. Because of this I am considering maybe going with powerline, but I only have one plugin at that location and currently have a power bar plugged into it to connect his machine, monitor and speakers. So I would either have to plug it into the one open spot on the wall or into the powerbar (which I have heard is not good).

So is it even possible to do this? Or do I have to get a wireless PCI card and hope I get a better signal.
Powerbar in one, Powerline adapter in the other, piece of cake
Attached Images

Old February 1, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of speeds do you get with that? And what model is it?

Old February 1, 2012, 04:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
What kind of speeds do you get with that? And what model is it?
Model
Trendnet TPL-401E2K 500MBS Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit - TRENDnet - TPL-401E2K

The 'Room Net' is the furthest adapter, if I move it to a different plug in that room my speed is drastically improved (but that plug is inconvenient for my setup )
Attached Images